The Dangerous Finned Friends Of The Deep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vicko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Share your stories of dangerous encounters with our finned friends while keeping your tongue firmly in cheek. I'll start it with a few posts removed from a basic scuba thread as off topic. It seemed a shame to just let them poof into the internet abyss.

I got attacked by a great white so I swam up inside him and punched him in the heart.
I made a nice rug out of it's fur.

I once made the mistake of entering a shallow warm water area while bluegills were on their nests. I truly feared for my life, but managed to fight my way through it.

The stuff legends are made of....

If this has ever happened to you, you understand that Bob isn't kidding!

I once made the mistake of entering a shallow warm water area while bluegills were on their nests. I truly feared for my life, but managed to fight my way through it.

The stuff legends are made of....

Ferocious little bastards. My OW (AOW?) instructor put a hotdog in my wet suit neck without my noticing. Since it's been 21 years and I still remember, I guess it is a legend.

I have been attacked by damsel fish on many dives. Hitting my mask, attacking my camera or strobes. Thankfully these mean azz SOB's are only 3 inches long. If they grew to be 6 feet i would never get in the ocean. Ounce for ounce meanest fish i have ever met. Oh, and I did survive.....the laughing fit after each encounter. Seriously? You weigh 3 oz, I weigh 200 pds. They must be a mix of pit bull and pug.

Beware the nesting Titan triggerfish in the Indo-Pacific!!

If this has ever happened to you, you understand that Bob isn't kidding!

I've always thought bluegills look too much like Piranha for comfort!

Beware the nesting Titan triggerfish in the Indo-Pacific!!
Not just Titans. I was bit on the knucle by a gray triggerfish in Florida. You could see the teeth marks and though it barely broke the skin that knuckle swelled up and hurt for a good 3 month.

A short time later I was again in Florida on a drift dive, by this time it was just myself and two of the boat crew. We hit a patch of sand between reefs and here comes a triggerfish after us. He followed us for a full 3+ minutes going from one diver to another. I was filming at the time and used the camera to push him away. He finally managed to nip the ear of another dive, felt vendicated and swam off.

Not just Titans. I was bite on the knucle by a gray triggerfish in Florida. You could see the teeth marks and though it barely broke the skin that knuckle swelled up and hurt for a good 3 month.

A short time later I was again in Florida on a drift dive, by this time it was just myself and two of the boat crew. We hit a patch of sand between reefs and here comes a triggerfish after us. He followed us for a full 3+ minutes going from one diver to another. I was filming at the time and used the camera to push him away. He finally managed to nip the ear of another dive, felt vendicated and swam off.
My superpower is shooting triggerfish. They are delicious and every one I remove
Is one fewer to bite a tourist diver. Win-win.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom