The Confederate Shipwrecks at Bayport, FL.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt Mattson

Registered
Reaction score
Treasure Dive Sites

shipwreck.jpg

Under the boating/diving movies.

Map by clicking the "Treasure Dive Sites" link (then go to the West Central Site Files).

Happy diving!

MM

Last edited:
That was realy interesting to watch I would like to see more on this or read if you could point me in the wright derection. Thanks

Thanks, there really isn't much more on it since everything was dropped 20 years ago (no funding) and there are only 3 tapes in existence: one with the Hernando County Museum (in Brooksville) under Virginia Jackson, one in the State of Florida Division of Historical Resources, and the one I have.

This latest "search" (the archaeologist in charge had all my old materials (letters and photographs) on hand when I talked to them) isn't officially underway yet.

MM

Hello
Who is the archaeologist in charge.
Thanks

From the article I read:

BAYPORT - Archaeologists will be at Bayport Park today to give the public a chance to learn more about an effort to find sunken wrecks from the Civil War era.

"Bayport Underwater" will run from 1 to 4 p.m. at the park, 4140 Cortez Blvd. The event marks the start of the project to record and preserve the submerged wrecks reported to lie in the shallow waters there.

Bayport was the site of two brief engagements between Confederate land troops and Union blockade vessels. Several of those vessels were reportedly burned and sunk by the Confederacy to keep them out of Union hands.

Nichole Tumbleson, a maritime archaeologist and outreach coordinator for the Florida Public Archaeology Network, will give an overview of the project and discuss Bayport's Civil War history at 1 p.m. Demonstrations of shipwreck mapping
techniques are slated for 1:30 and 2:30. At 2 and 3 p.m., Billy Morris, a maritime archeologist and director of Southeastern Archaeological Services, will demonstrate how submerged archeological sites are relocated.

Between demonstrations there will be interactive programs for children and adults such as shipwreck mapping techniques, build-a-boat exercises and archeological recording.

>Hernando Today<

and:

Civil War naval clashes uncovered at Bayport - St. Petersburg Times

Roger Smith, Florida Dept. of Historical Resources Underwater Archaeologist was the one who documented the wrecks 20 years ago and may ultimately be in charge of this adventure for all I know.

Happy diving!

Sounds good,
J.W.(Billy Ray) Moriss is one of our guides, and I thought he had mentioned something about this.

He heads up some of our most important archaeological trips for dive travel of the next level.
Thanks for the reply.
See the trips, and check out our guides at

Sounds good,
J.W.(Billy Ray) Moriss is one of our guides, and I thought he had mentioned something about this.

He heads up some of our most important archaeological trips for dive travel of the next level.
Thanks for the reply.
See the trips, and check out our guides at

He will probably get a copy of this if involved as the archeo contacted me and I have released the story of it to her and copied the others involved (Jackson, Govreau, Williamson, etc.) today.

Subject: Re: Bayport

Thank you, Nicole. Nice to meet you and re-unite with Virginia Jackson.

I came across the surgeon's account in the Orlando Public Library in 1986 which led me to McCauley's history and the rest of the Gulf Coast Blockading Squadron activities, as well as an earlier survey in the 1840's. I met with Virginia Jackson to see if she had any materials or knowledge. I began searching for the wrecks in 1987 with Lt CMDR Louis Govreau (Ret) and with diver Larry Williamson in 1988 unsuccessfully. In 1989 I took my Whaler Montauk over to the harbor alone and started searching in a grid pattern with mask and snorkel and came across the steamer wreck with a Marine Patrol Officer standing by to keep boaters away while I searched. From there I was able to locate (the or some) remains of the schooner underneath the rubble piles at the Bayport pier. Sporadic wood could only be seen from the channel side at that time.

After finding I met with Virginia Jackson and she had me meet with some others (I can't remember their names but she does) on a project to raise parts and put them in a building at Bayport, or some type of museum. Everyone had high hopes, but no money at that time and the search for the remaining sloop was draining mine so everything was dropped and I documented the wreck with photography and sent it all to Roger Smith and he came down to video in 1991. I showed him where the old hotel was located, the boiler tubes, the wrecks (he didn't want to dive the schooner as I recall since we had no protection from the fishermen), the battery location, where the cemetery was (totally overgrown now but the headstones are still readable), Hospital Hole, and the Crystal River sites and Yulee Mill.

I had also been hired by Gary Ellis to find/show/map paleo sites in the Homosassa River about that time and relocated a wreck off Greenleaf Key there.

That was the extent of my involvement with Bayport. Hopefully you will have/find the funding to do something with the steamer wreck as it is unprotected (currents wash out any mud) and in need of protection 20 years ago.

I have copied Virginia Jackson (also has the same underwater tape) in case I am unavailable, and Dan Dewitt (columnist) who has expressed interest in the current expedition, Louis Govreau and Larry Williamson, the original divers helping me in the search.

Sincerely,

Matt Mattson

Back
Top Bottom