“THE CLOCK IS TICKING”: INSIDE THE WORST U.S. MARITIME DISASTER IN DECADES

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
Not scuba related, though you could apply the failures to diving accidents, nevertheless, well worth the long read.

Embed-01-MAG-0418-El-Faro.jpg

“The Clock Is Ticking”: Inside the Worst U.S. Maritime Disaster in Decades

A recording salvaged from three miles deep tells the story of the doomed “El Faro,” a cargo ship engulfed by a hurricane.

snip...

He did not know the wind speeds because the ship’s anemometer was in disrepair and had been for weeks; it is now believed that the winds were sustained at 115 m.p.h., with higher gusts. As for the waves, Davidson appears to have underreported them, perhaps as a matter of professional style. El Faro was in fact struggling to endure steep breaking waves 30 to 40 feet high, and was occasionally encountering waves still higher. These monsters were smashing over the ship, knocking containers overboard, and boiling across a lower second deck that by design was watertight below but open to the sea. That second deck was the location of the scuttle that had been opened. Three-hold was a cavernous two-deck space below it, just aft of midship.

Lawrence asked for a measure of the list. Davidson said, “Betcha it’s all of 15—15 degrees.” Fifteen degrees is steep. Lawrence said he would inform the Coast Guard. Davidson said, “Yup, what—what I wanted to do. I wanna push that button.”

Attachments

• FINAL PDF ROI 24 SEP 17.PDF
    6 MB · Views: 277
Interesting read. I firmly believe that when 1 thing goes wrong it's an inconvenience, 2 things go wrong and its a real problem, when the 3rd thing goes wrong it's too late. Small problems most certainly compound into a disaster with relative speed. Just sad to hear. Hind sight is 20/20, looking back I'm sure with proper equipment and better weather reports this would have been prevented.

On a side note, I don't have the stones to take a 30+ft cc out in anything over 8ft seas. Imagine having the stones to knowingly plot a course within 75nm of an eye wall. Regardless of storm category, that takes some brass stones.

Yea the ocean doesn't care if you got brass balls or not. The corporate and professional culture there was way too aggressive. It led to avoidable loss of live and serious risks to the searchers too.

I’ll agree it’s a riveting article. Interesting given that I was just reading about the White Hurricane of November 1913, probably the worst ever storm on the Great Lakes. 8-10 boats went to the bottom on Lake Huron alone.

Best takeaway quote from article regarding cascading adversity and equally applies to Scuba Accidents:

". . .Most significant accidents in maritime and aviation disasters, as well as individual catastrophes, are determined to be "system accidents", the result of a cascade of small errors, failures and coincidences. Absent any one of them and the disaster will not have occurred -a truth that is not knowable in real time, only in retrospect. . ."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom