The City of Annapolis wreck located in the Chesapeake Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikefxbg

Reaction score
I'm looking for information about the City of Annapolis which sank off Smith's Point Virginia in 1927. Also I'd like possibly to arrange a dive there this winter. I live in Fredericksburg and I'm also an instructor working out of the SCUBA Shack.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi, I dove the wreck about five years ago and would love to go back. She was an excursion steamer running her route between Baltimore, MD and West Point, VA when she was struck by her sistership the City of Richmond. Luckily only one life was lost. The City of Richmond went on to ram and sink two other vessels before herself sinking while under tow off the coast of South Carolina.

My dive was very quick. My buddy and I went down to the wreck and I thought visibility would be great because we still had about 10 feet at a depth of 50 feet, but at about 55 feet it was like diving into a pint of guiness and by the time we hit the wreck at 65 feet you could have painted my mask and I would have never known. My buddy lost a fin so we aborted the dive. We had very different impressions, he thought the current was ripping and I thought it was really dark, but I didn't notice the current and he didn't notice the dark. Another thing we noticed was the large container ships. They looked like they were going to pass us by a wide margin, but then they passed Smith Point and it looked like they were going to run us over.

Anyway, if you are going to the wreck please let me know. I would really like the opportunity to go back. I may know a fisherman who will take us to the wreck (for a charter fee). He has gps numbers which are very helpful. The wrecks of the Dorothy and Brazil are also very close but they are further out in the shipping channel at depths of 100 and 130 feet.

Andrew

City of annapolis, Next to a ledge of some type, become familiar with the tides and dive it in the winter. It really is the best time. Catch it right and you may find that the currents and Visibility are not an issue at all. Plenty of artifacts. Oh yah and have a competent captain on board because you will be in the middle of a shipping lane. Good luck

Hi, I'm interested in setting up a trip to the City of Annapolis, Dorothy and/or Brazil at some point this winter. I'm thinking either the week before or week after Christmas. Is anyone interested in doing this? And Andrew, can you please provide me with the name/number of the fisherman who will take divers there? Is he experienced grappling wrecks, and how is the boat for divers?

Will late December be a reasonable time to dive these wrecks, visibility-wise, or is it better to wait until Jan/Feb?

Thanks,

Ben

I'm always interested in diving and still have not been back to the Annapolis. The boat I took out to the wreck was a fishing boat and my buddy and I were the only divers he had ever taken out. So the boat was NOT set up for diving, but the captain was a diver and exceedingly friendly. One thing to consider about his boat was the ladder was not fixed and just hung over the side. I couldn't imagine climbing up with doubles on. Also, its been a long time since we went out and I don't know if he is still running charters. I will try to contact him to see if he is. My suggestion would be to make it a multiple day trip so you can hit more than one wreck. That said, the Dorothy and Brazil are out in the channel and I would be nervous diving them. What do you think?

Hey Andrew, thanks for the quick reply. I'll PM you to discuss the details offline.

Thanks,

-Ben

Hey Andrew, I tried PMing you twice but for some reason my outbox is showing no sent messages. If you didn't get my messages, please PM me and hopefully I can reply to that - otherwise I guess I can post my email address here, although I prefer not to memorialize it publicly on the web like that...

Thanks,

-Ben

I can do the week after Christmas, I'll be on vacation. I don't have any contacts for bay charters. I have access to the Rappahannock quarry in Fredericksburg if the group would like to meet and do a warm-up dive. I am interested in meeting divers who like bay diving and would possibly consider Fredericksburg as an origin point, we have a small solid group of wreck divers here but we don't have much time diving in the bay.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom