The Checklist Sticker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
doctormike submitted a new resource:

The Checklist Sticker - A convenient pre-splash rebreather checklist to encourage safer diving

View attachment 685830In May of 2018, an experienced rebreather diver and Navy officer was doing a trimix training dive. He jumped into the water ahead of his instructor, carrying his camera, with his oxygen shut off and his rebreather in surface mode. Within a few minutes, he lost consciousness, sank and drowned.Around the same time, in Truk Lagoon, a technical diving instructor rushed to get into the water to meet his buddy. Due to a previously noted problem with the oxygen...

Read more about this resource...

I dive on & off with a dozen RB divers and maybe 2 use a checklist. But almost all the good RB divers will get on the loop for ~3 minutes on the way out to the dive site/dock. If I see an unfamiliar RB diver and they are not pre breathing their loop, I'll ask them why or why not. To me it's almost the same as an OC diver not pre-breathing and/or looking at their gauge before splashing. Distracted divers can be a problem.

Very Nice article and something all rebreather divers can benefit from. GUE teaches their CCR divers to fill out and attatch a dated assembly sticker each time the unit is built, has an additional onsite checklist attatched to the unit, and has a detailed predive procedure (called CHAOS) to verify valves open and components are working with a checklist on the controller. I've had a few CCR divers mention they felt most of those checks were pointless since they had already checked everything at home and that their prebreath would catch any issues. I'm always surprised to see resistance to safety procedures.

Very good idea, the form factor is particularly interesting, not cumbersome like a slate for example. Just one question, what does MAV stand for ? And please, before thrashing me, bear me with a minute and remember : my natural language is French, not English, our acronyms for rebreather diving (or OC diving for that matter) are often different.

Very good idea, the form factor is particularly interesting, not cumbersome like a slate for example. Just one question, what does MAV stand for ? And please, before thrashing me, bear me with a minute and remember : my natural language is French, not English, our acronyms for rebreather diving (or OC diving for that matter) are often different.
MAV = Manual Addition Valve, the button you press to manually add O2 or diluent to your loop.

Ok, thank you for the translation :wink: I think I'll make my own sticker to dive my MCCR Triton.

No thrashing! MAV=Manual Addition Valve. For adding oxygen or diluent to the loop by pushing a button.

Ok, thank you for the translation :wink: I think I'll make my own sticker to dive my MCCR Triton.
You can download the Word document or the Photoshop PDF files from the links in the resource, and edit as you see fit...

I dive on & off with a dozen RB divers and maybe 2 use a checklist. But almost all the good RB divers will get on the loop for ~3 minutes on the way out to the dive site/dock. If I see an unfamiliar RB diver and they are not pre breathing their loop, I'll ask them why or why not. To me it's almost the same as an OC diver not pre-breathing and/or looking at their gauge before splashing. Distracted divers can be a problem.

Yeah, that's another pet peeve of mine. The pre-breathe should be when you are in your gear, just before you splash. Pre-breathing while not wearing the rebreather can be a problem if something changes between then and getting in the water (e.g. valve rolloff, line disconnection, etc...).

You can download the Word document or the Photoshop PDF files from the links in the resource, and edit as you see fit...
Be sure I'll, and I'll post my modified sticker here. Well, will need some time for that. :tired:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom