The big “D”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lexvil

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I’m a recent convert to the “D” it was never on my radar because conventional regs are so easy to service and tune, I had a D400 but never really warmed up to it. When the D420 was announced and Rob Singler waxed so poetically about the superior design I thought I would try one, the 400 was gone but upon reflection it held a tune through years of sitting and no use. It wasn’t love at first dive but I don’t think SP had a clue at that time regarding the tune, I assume the new ones will do a great job, I will pick up another one of these days.

I’ve been diving my 420 pretty much exclusively to see how well it holds tune and how long it can go without service, so far it’s been an amazing experience and I’ve actually tightened the tune (hotter) every other dive or so via the James79 tuner, during the dive I lighten the spring pressure a little each time, no dribble and super smooth delivery.

I picked up a 350 from surite7 (sp) on a whim and it’s been on a neckless as a back up since detuning it slightly.

On further whim I’ve picked up a few AIR 1’s which are truly amazing breathers, I’ve attached one to a pony for in ocean testing but so far in my pool really smooth nice air delivery, the standard all regulators should be judged by, these are not serviced and about 30 years old, no parts available so not really practical but a good long term look at how the design hold up, I have never had a conventional reg sit unused for so long and perform so well without service.

The D420 is thicker due to its modernization to use a conventional exhaust valve, a good move on SP’s part I think.

CA5246E2-1365-481B-B309-DD1C4BFF672E.jpeg
D3E208B5-B65F-4882-8E33-2EE123D3B128.jpeg

When I see the D series for some reason I always think of Airedale and Irish Terriers, kind of the goatee thing.
They are odd looking but odd for a purpose.

On further whim I’ve picked up a few AIR 1’s which are truly amazing breathers, I’ve attached one to a pony for in ocean testing but so far in my pool really smooth nice air delivery, the standard all regulators should be judged by, these are not serviced and about 30 years old, no parts available so not really practical but a good long term look at how the design hold up, I have never had a conventional reg sit unused for so long and perform so well without service.
Agree with the AIR1 being a smooth operator, I really like it and choose it over the Ds when wanting to dive a regulator of that type. (Not yet tried the 420)
AIR1s are not hard to DIY service, especially if someone has worked on older D series. I have rebuilt a couple for use, plus sitting on 5 or 6 (and counting) for extra parts or eventual rebuild.

the d 400 is one of the best regs iv ever owned dove it down in bikini atoll under the Nagato at 200 plus

@lexvil

"I’ve been diving my 420 pretty much exclusively to see how well it holds tune and how long it can go without service, so far it’s been an amazing experience and I’ve actually tightened the tune (hotter) every other dive or so via the James79 tuner, during the dive I lighten the spring pressure a little each time, no dribble and super smooth delivery."

Been doing and experiencing the same.

A big thanks @James79

whats a @James79 tool ? is it only for the 420?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom