The Basics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So it crossed my mind as I was driving home tonight, just as a forward, I get all sorts of stupid ideas that pop into my head all the time, some good and some bad. However one day one of these ideas will make me money.

Anyway the idea that popped was what if I bought a boat, got the necessary things to take out dive charters, and did dive charters during the summer?

I am a newly certified diver, and don't even have a pleasure craft license, So starting from the basics, once I have a pleasure craft license and a boat just the right size to hold divers and gear. what next? What kind of things would one need to think of? How much insurance would one need?

The vision that I pictured in my head was me taking my dive buddies out to a site, enjoying a dive, coming back up for some bbq and not paying some crazy charter fee to do it all. I've always wanted a small business, this might be it, even if I know nothing about boats (currently lol).

i don't know about the rules in canada, but down here you have to have a 6-pack license from the coast guard and the hardest part of that is getting the requisite 360 days of working on a boat to get it.

I understand in the US that if you just take out buddies and do not charge a fee you do not need a formal license, and the time spend running the boat counts towards the time needed for an actual license. But I suspect there is actual case law as to the difference between a boat full of buddies sharing costs and an unlicensed commercial vessel and you should look them up and be careful to stay on the right side of the law.

In Canada I have no idea.

In the US you would need a commercial captain license to take passengers for hire. If you charge you need a license. Second the craft will Need and inspection by coast guard.

You mentioned insurance. Most insurance companies will not cover dive businesses. However most of the certification agencies offer insurance for dive boats, instructors and resorts.

In the US you would need a commercial captain license to take passengers for hire. If you charge you need a license. Second the craft will Need and inspection by coast guard.

You mentioned insurance. Most insurance companies will not cover dive businesses. However most of the certification agencies offer insurance for dive boats, instructors and resorts.

The Coast Guard doesn't inspect 6-packs. Only "inspected vessels". getting a COI on a boat that wasn't designed and built for that in the first place is very difficult and costly

The Coast Guard doesn't inspect 6-packs. Only "inspected vessels". getting a COI on a boat that wasn't designed and built for that in the first place is very difficult and costly

Correct, we've had problems getting canadian built vessels certified in the U.S. because the CG inspector wasnt present during the build out. Ive also seen people get their ticket "pulled" after the fact by doing unapproved work to a boat without notifying the CG so they can be present throughout the process.

To answer the op... I can only speak on how it works in the U.S. so here it goes... You'll need 360 days (6+ hrs counts as a day) to get a 6 pack oupv, add 90 days if taking the masters upgrade. (All within the past three years) For a masters pay close attention to the "Tonnage" because the size license you qualify for corresponds to the size vessel your seatime was recorded on, starting at 25 gross tons, 50 and 100 tons respectively. Most dive boats you'll need a 50 ton. Take the oupv (Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels) class $700-$1000 roughly 40hrs classroom time. Master Upgrade class 10hrs ($400) Physical exam ($60). Drug test ($75). First Aid/Cpr ($150) FCC Radio Operator Permit ($200) TWIC card ($128), 3 Character reference letters (notarized), fingerprints ($45), Application ($145) its sounds like a lot and it is, but its not impossible. I really had fun doing it, and you can do it one step at a time. I suggest making sure you'll have no problems with the physical, or background check before getting too deep. It will be hard to justify doing all this to run a part-time 6pak dive operation.

Now, with that said..Your not "supposed" to charge people without being commercially licensed, BUT in your case, if your buddys just so happens to show up with 30 gallons of fuel, a bucket of fried chicken and a case of beer... then you've got some cool ass buddys and you guys enjoy your day... Just realize that even your own buddys (or their families) can and will sue you, license or no-license, if someone gets hurt.. See what I'm saying? Personally, It wouldn't stop me. That's all up to you.

Btw,,, 1ST POST WOO HOO!!! I'm a newer diver. I've been lurking the site a while now and never post but this is something I actually KNOW a thing or two about...

Last edited:
(All within the past three years) .

Just a nit - the experience for the initial license is cummulative from age 16....

All the posts in this thread so far are for USA coast guard requirements which are completely different...

in Canada you need to complete a small vessel training course or SVOP (small vessel operating proficiency)
requirements are here: Small Vessel Operator Proficiency Training Course - TP 14692 E - Transport Canada

These are mostly conducted by commercial schools or community colleges approved by TC (transport Canada). They are 4 or 5 day long programs.

If you are:
less than 8m and carrying less than 6 passengers and operating exclusively in protected waters TC only requires you to have a PCOC (pleasure craft operating card)

I am not sure how much if any of the Great Lakes might be considered "protected waters" though. Best to call your local TC office and ask about requirements for your area.

as soon as you take money in exchange for a boat ride you become a commercial operator.

For vessels 25 ft or shorter 7 gross tons or less you need An MED a3 (marine emergency duties a3) marine basic First aid and ROC (Marine radio operators card) and an SVOP (small vessel operators permit)

small vessels require prescribed safety equipment including SOLIS ****** over priced life jackets (not available at Canadian tire) fire extinguisher flairs pumps first aid kit. ext
consult Transport Canada small commercial vessel safety guide for more fun facts.

sheltered waters are considered 2 miles or less from shore
near costal class 2 is considered 2 miles but not more than 22 miles from shore.

for vessels larger than 25 ft or grater than 7 tons you will require a Master limited certification. ( med, marine basic first aid, ROC, and if the vessel has an inboard engine you will require a SVMO (small vessel machinery operator certification)

vessels larger than 25 ft and 7 tons require a self inflating life raft to operate beyond 2 miles from shore.
vessels with inboard engines require an on board fire detection system,

feel free to contact me if you have any questions I will be happy to give you more details and put you in touch with the good folks at transport Canada Marine safety.

Vessels are inspected annually buy the operator and reports are sent in to transport Canada. TC may decide to pay a surprise visit to verify that your inspection report is accurate. ( it has been my experience that TC will inspect vessels with new operators at least once during your first year of operation. or more often if you are a politically polarizing character.)

PCOC pleasure craft operator card dose not qualify you to carry any paying passengers ever.

Great Information... There is a lot to think about when starting a dive boat. New or established Dive Boats want to maximize their utilization, fill more seats and increase revenues. Divers today want more from a dive boat, they want to see when seats are available, what site your going to and want to be able to book at their conveyance.

Dive Boats have tried everything from online calendars, generic booking tools but none of them fit the dive boat. http://DiveScheduler.com was build specifically for dive boats. Live up to date calendar, Allow divers to select dive sites if you choose, full online booking and credit card payment to eliminate no shows, increase revenue with rental revenue, and much more. The Best part is it costs the dive boat NOTHING! Yes NO Risk. We will set it up and integrate to your website for FREE.

Back
Top Bottom