The Andrea Doria Revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCBC

Banned
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I read in an Associated Press article today that the wreck of the Italian ocean liner the Andrea Doria off Nantucket is more deteriorated than previous thought. Sonar images show that its bow nearly broken off.

OceanGate dove the wreck with its submersible on several dives earlier this month; collecting more than a dozen complete sonar images of the vessel. The most recent images prior to this was two years ago. Since this time the wreck appears to have been greatly deteriorated.

The team plans to return next year to continue its sonar mapping work. The plan is to create a "virtual model" of the exterior of the wreck as well as its debris field. This would provide divers an invaluable resource.

The wreck, rests on the ocean floor in about 240 feet of water, 50 miles south of Nantucket. To-date it has claimed the lives of 16 divers.

OceanGate says its expedition was the first manned submersible trip to the wreck since 1995. July 25 marks the 60th anniversary of the Andrea Doria's sinking.

I dove the Doria as a part of a US/Canadian Navy diving exercise in 1975. I'm sorry to hear that the wreck has deteriorated to such a degree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom