The $100 challenge. Baby, its on!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Here's the deal. I'm the hardest person in the world to shop for. This is universally acknowledged by everyone in my circle. My specific passions are very specialized - Flyfishing, drumming / music, diving, photography, wine, etc. When I need something, I save or sell something and just go get it. This leaves very little room for outside participation.

For outsiders to these passions, its tough to convey that a snorkle from Sports Authority isn't a gift for a diver. If you golf, you get the idea. If you fish, you get the idea. So everyone has pretty much given up. Which is OK, but not fun for me or for them when my birthday or Christmas come around. For my friends and family, lately its been fine dining and some great wine - and I love it. But for my wife and I, I have an idea for this year.

Here's the thing: I have a great life. Blessed, really. I don't need stuff. I got everything I need. Honestly. So Christmas is usually just a mellow affair, and the grand gesture days of mega giftage between my wife and I are past. And our Christmas celebrations have never been better.

So I've instituted a new policy: The $100 challenge. I think next year it will be the $50 challenge. But I blerted out $100 when I thought this up yesterday, so this year it is what it is.

Here are the rules.

1) $100 max all in. Including tax, delivery, set up... whatever. $100 all in. Less is OK, but not a penny more.

2) You can't start shopping until December 20.

3) Gift cards are cheating and will be cut up! You need to be creative and fun.

4) You must complete shopping by 12/24.

5) We are operating on the honor system.

I'm going shopping for Jaye tomorrow, and I'm so fired up. I'm the shopper in the family, so the pressure is really on her... she's going a little nuts. But she's the artist, so I suspect there will be some really interesting stuff. This is so gonna rule.

I can't wait. We didn't have a proper Christmas last year as we were traveling to dive, and were gone from 12/20 through New Years... it was weird. Its good to be home for the holidays.

This is gonna be fun.

---
Ken

do it easy:
Would $100 worth of mince pies make you smile? Or just one mince pie worth $100? :D

a $100 mince pie would be some kind of pie.

Yikes.

I still haven't found a good one this year. I'm very sad about that.

---
Ken

Tickets to something you both like
Tickets to something she likes and you hate, going is the gift part

Our family did a similar affair but threw in the rule that it had to be made. You could buy a kit but you had to put it together. I think our limit was $20. Sometimes we got some weird items but none the less they were worth a laugh or two.

Ken, when I come down to visit in LA, can we have a mince pie? I love them . . .

I love your $100 challenge idea. We have a house so crammed full of THINGS, there are no places to put new THINGS. I've tried for the last few years to make presents stuff like lessons or experiences (passenger trip in a fighter jet, for example) that you don't have to STORE. Christmas is hard for people who basically get themselves whatever they conceive that they want.

Peter is buying a boat tomorrow, I think. Case in point.

Ken - I'm going to be watching this with anticipation! Make sure that you tell us what happened after next Monday, OK? :wink:

I see cases of Tomato juice in your future.....

Seriously....Im the same way,if I want something I find a way to get it...I told my wife the same thing-we actually came up with 50 bucks,but I think we'll both probably go over a bit? It seems crazy to spend a bunch of money on stuff neither of us really wants or needs?Its our first x-mas as a married couple so it should be fun-we'll spend the extra money on some nice meals and wine/drink!

Have fun!
Drew

Back
Top Bottom