that was nice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
While I was soloing sun march 13. I thought of some other reasons that soloing is the way to go. there is just something so piecefull about being by yourself that it's hard to explain to divers that have never done it. first off my plan was to go out and turn at a certain point, well when I got down to 75 feet, I decided to go someplace else. didn't have to ask,signal,write on slate nothing, just did it. didn't have to rescue anyone or care if my buddies gear would fall apart. no stress there. I didn't care if my buddy got lost because my buddy AL was with me ( double 80s). crossed the NDLs by a tad, but I didn't care about that either. I always do min deco obligations on an ascent,

Yup that was nice, just me and 85-90 feet of cold water over my head, no phones, no wife, no kids , NO HASSLES at all, just one SWEET dive. 45 min of piece and quite, AHHHHHH

And they ask me why I like solo diving! I think you hit it right on the head. peace and quite, no one to look after except yourself, and who know better than that?

novadiver:
Yup that was nice, just me and 85-90 feet of cold water over my head, no phones, no wife, no kids , NO HASSLES at all, just one SWEET dive. 45 min of piece and quite, AHHHHHH

Maybe you are diving too deep. You could have had 2 to 3 hours with that rig.

awap:
Maybe you are diving too deep. You could have had 2 to 3 hours with that rig.

Or, with unlimited air have 9 days solo many miles off the road system. Did have extensive mental deco on return though. Still; may have a case of MDCS(Mental Decompression Sickness) on my return to the world.

novadiver:

Over the years, I've had a number of conversations with divers (mostly fairly novice) who disagree with my solo diving. So far the only good reason for not doing it that I can see, is that there's nobody to chip in for gas for the boat...

Aaah Man.

You got it in one.

Similar experience on my last dive. Just me, the fish and my bubbles. Bliss.

novadiver:
NO HASSLES at all, just one SWEET dive.
So based on the general agreement to this post, it would seem we're a bunch of anti-social miscreants!

The dive season is just about to start up here in Canada. I have my first dive all planned out.. and no thought of actually doing it WITH someone.

I was just in Roatan, and the guide was pretty relaxed after the first couple of days. Floating along at about 130'... the rest of the group about 60' above me and ahead a ways.... Once they cruised past, all the fishies came out to play. After every dive, it seemed like I saw way more stuff than anyone else on the boat. It occured to me that if the gang spent less time OK-ing each other, and looking at each others gauges, they might actually see something!

One guy took me aside at one point at tried to explain the risks I was taking (What if I passed out????!!!) He was a young Instructor, with about 150 dives. I assured him that I wasn't likely to pass out, but if I did, he shouldn't concern himself...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom