Thanks giving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDAnderson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Over the years, my choice for my favorite Holiday has changed several times.

As a child, of course, Christmas was THE Holiday, above all others, because of the pile of gifts it promised. Thanksgiving was mostly a harbinger of the impending ecstatic fantasia of a team of elves whose entire lives were dedicated to satisfying my material wants. Bliss for a four-year old but the burden of trying to recreate (or repurchase) that childhood memory tends to leave me dissipated.

As I grew a little older, I found that the sanctioned naughtiness and demi-chaos of Halloween provided an outlet for my burgeoning rebellious tendencies. The opportunity to gently misbehave without fear of punishment and to explore some of the dark corners of my imagination was a giddy and liberating experience. Thanksgiving came to mean little more than it was time to put away the pumpkins and the scary movies.

As the fires of material want and disestablishmentarianism wane in my heart, I find that Thanksgiving has become my favorite Holiday. The opportunity to gather for a meal with family and close friends, to celebrate our blessings and to share my life with the people I love, is the greatest gift I desire. This isn’t compromise on my part - it’s not an example of diminished expectations but a sea-change in my soul. Besides, eight or nine hours in the same room with my family and friends can be enough chaos to make Halloween look tame.

For me, Thanksgiving is also a time to remember those who can’t be with us. Let us cherish those who brought us into this world and who have gone on to the next, often without sufficient thanks for all they did for us. Let us embrace those we love but are separated from by distance. The missing may not have a seat at the table but they will forever be in our hearts and the hope of a reunion with them someday is the spark that keeps the fire of our love for them burning.

To take a day from each year to dedicate to giving thanks, to God, to family, to friends, for the bounty I enjoy sits well with me. It’s also a good time to remember that actions speak louder than words, that the best way to say thank you is to act to help those with less to be thankful for. What better way to give thanks than to stop talking and to do something to make the world a better place, to comfort the sorrowful, to teach a child, to inspire the downtrodden, to build a bridge…

So, thank you all for being here today and for sharing your lives and love with me. Let us be thankful for the blessings we all enjoy, whatever they may be. In the words of Sam Pugh, let us pray to God:

help me to destroy my complacency;
bestir my compassion,
and be concerned enough to help;
By word and deed,
those who cry out for what we take for granted.​

Let it be so. Pass the sweet potatoes, please.

melissassm:
Nicely put. Hope your Thanksgiving was filled with family, friends and good food.

I could totally use another Thanksgiving meal; mine was last month...
It was wonderful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom