Thanks DIR Atlanta!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I wanted to thank DIR-Atlanta for hosting me in NFL over the long weekend. We did 4 C2 dives, none less than ~75mins.
Peacock to Olsen and back. Then down the Peanut tunnel to the first jump for a total of about 140min UW. Off to a good start...
Hole in the Wall upstream and downstream about 1,100ft each way
Jackson Blue

Those were some cool dives and DIR-Atlanta and his regular buddy Matt were fun to dive with. We managed good vis and good dives despite some torrential rains, power outages cutting into our ability to get fills, missed helium deliveries, and torn wrist seals. We didn't have a single in-water failure fortunately.

I especially liked Hole in the Wall (upstream?) for the first 400' through the "Bridge" area. And coming up the Fisher crack (chimney? sorry bad with some of these names) into the cavern of JB with the sun streaming in behind the fish. Gorgeous.

:cool2:

Glad you enjoyed yourself, and look forward to having you visit again sometime. Just no more double stage swim dives in Jackson Blue, OK? :surrender:

Also thanks for the "experimental" wrist seal repair - TSandM has obviously trained you well in the fine art of adhesive alchemy. :thumbs_up:

Glad you enjoyed your trip Richard. Sounds like a blast. :D

So, inquiring minds need to know: Did your wrist seals leak?

So, inquiring minds need to know: Did your wrist seals leak?

Well my wrists always leak. But your actual glue efforts seem quite sound. I did have to replace Atlanta's seal using all the little tricks you taught me!

I am fairly confident that "seal cement" (the black stuff) does not work on latex after his seal popped off completely intact. I sanded the underlying goo, sanded the latex, cotol-ed both sides, and glued on a new seal with "seam grip" using a trumpet mute with a towel wrapped around it to increase its diameter. Seemed to work, glad I got to practice on someone else's suit :D

I sanded the underlying goo, sanded the latex, cotol-ed both sides, and glued on a new seal with "seam grip" using a trumpet mute with a towel wrapped around it to increase its diameter.
Yes, it was quite an effective repair. However, I think I deserve some credit for having all those items readily available in my Save-A-Dive kit. I mean come on - how many other people would go on a dive trip and remember to take their trombone mute? (and let's not forget about the backup drysuit!) :D

A trombone mute has got to be a unique save-a-dive kit item. Maybe I should invest in one?

Yes, it was quite an effective repair. However, I think I deserve some credit for having all those items readily available in my Save-A-Dive kit. I mean come on - how many other people would go on a dive trip and remember to take their trombone mute? (and let's not forget about the backup drysuit!) :D

A trombone mute has got to be a unique save-a-dive kit item. Maybe I should invest in one?

Right trombone (not trumpet)!

It was actually a bit small. A hotel towel increased its diameter nicely tho and didn't stick to the seamgrip on the inside much. I would have been hitting the Mariana walmart for wine if need be.

You did bring the backup drysuit, I on the other hand, was wise enough to make sure you invited Matt so I had a backup buddy :D

The one I have (which is actually my son's) is a Stonelined straight mute - about $18-20 at most music stores. It's a little small for wrist seals, but rjack's towel trick took care of that. We also clamped it with several turns of electrical tape (also from my Save-A-Dive kit), to keep everything aligned until it dried.

It held up fine for one dive (which was all it needed to do). I'll be interested to see how well the repair lasts - thinking about testing it out in a couple of weeks, if Florida dries out by then. :wink:

Glad you enjoyed yourself, and look forward to having you visit again sometime. Just no more double stage swim dives in Jackson Blue, OK? :surrender:

Swim dives in JB? Strokes. My first swim dive in JB was back when it had a ripping flow, huge surface boil, etc. Making it to the T swimming was a huge accomplishment and felt like running a marathon. People trying to figure out how to spider walk on the celing, etc. My second dive there was my first scooter dive. Went out past the stoplight to explore a few of the lines going off from there. Double stage with a Mako. I had fun, but in hindsight probably not the best dive plan. That is a great cave though. I really need to make a trip out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom