Thank heavens for PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK News Flash to everyone

I certed with PADI as stated Before, but come on people, do you think any of these agency’s do it for you NO !!! Wake up and smell the coffee they do it for the MONEY!!!!! If there was no money in the Dive industry there would not be so many so stop fussing about what agency is better and just enjoy what you have, it is like college it is not the buildings that make the college it is the Instructors that make the college. it is not the name on your dive card that makes you a good diver it is what you learned from YOUR INSTRUCTOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF THERE WAS NO MONEY TO BE MADE HE/SHE WOULD NOT BE THERE EITHER

:doctor:

Armyguy38 once bubbled...
PADI stands for :

P- PUT
A-ANOTHER
D-DOLLAR
I-IN

Last time I heard that I laughed so hard I fell off my dinosaur. How about this one.

P-Preforming
A-All
D-Dives
I-Impressively

Whirling Girl once bubbled...
I have two words left regarding PADI that sort of sums up the way I feel about the level of safety that PADI chooses to teach:

DEEP. AIR.

I was at 90 feet tonight on air for 10 minutes and I was narced out of my mind. It's GUE Recreational Triox for me as soon as they are teaching one in Seattle.

There is a Triox class 12, 13, 14 september. And i think i am going to sign up, see you there :wink:
MHK is teaching it

Allen42 once bubbled...

It seems pretty simple to me... match a market to a product and sell it. In this case, the product is dive training. If the product sucks, and there are better products available, and you want to be non-commissioned salesperson, go for it. I submit that you'd get more sales if you abandonded these types of posts, and explained the "why". (As you often do... but I had to pick on this post to try dissuade the next one.)

You summed it up very well. PADI, and other agencies, have found a level of training that allows for maximum sales while keeping the casualties in limits that most find acceptable. This does tend to maximize profit.

The real product is NOT dive training. The real product is certification cards. People choose a class based on price and the convenience of the schedule. It's been devalued to the point that the market for a lousy instructor is identical to that of a good one because the card is the same and that's what most are paying for. Both instructors hand out the same card. Both divers go on the same vacation. It's like McDonalds, you can't call any of it good but just what do you compare it to?

Also, the purpose of this product is to sell equipment. The more cards you issue the more equipment you sell. The faster you can do a class the more students you can certify. Equipment is the real product but we need to give them a card before they'll buy any.

Do you think the agencies don't understand this? Who was president of US divers? Who was a PADI founder? Get it yet?

norcaldiver once bubbled...

Last time I heard that I laughed so hard I fell off my dinosaur. How about this one.

Well I am so new to the sport i have never herd it before

:eek:ut:

OK News Flash to everyone
IF THERE WAS NO MONEY TO BE MADE HE/SHE WOULD NOT BE THERE EITHER

1st, not all agencies are for profit. 2nd, I've done the math for instructors. Take a class of 6 people and $100/ea. Now figure in, gas, insurance, PICs, food, parking, and everything else that the instrcutor puts in and it came out to $2.16/hour per person. Not quite the buckets of money that you dream of. Most of the instructors that I know have PhDs, or at least Masters and do it for the fun and love of teaching, they don't even consider it pocket money.

norcaldiver once bubbled...

1st, not all agencies are for profit. 2nd, I've done the math for instructors. Take a class of 6 people and $100/ea. Now figure in, gas, insurance, PICs, food, parking, and everything else that the instrcutor puts in and it came out to $2.16/hour per person. Not quite the buckets of money that you dream of. Most of the instructors that I know have PhDs, or at least Masters and do it for the fun and love of teaching, they don't even consider it pocket money.

Well I would love to know where you got your school done , Mine was $330 just for the class never mind the required gear I needed and the book. by the time I was done buying everything i needed for the classes I was in the $700-$800 I am not complaining I chose to dive. But come on buddy, wake up the instructors are mostly store owners and sell you everything you need and though they do not get rich from the lessons they make a hell of allot of money from the gear, again I am into gear for well over $2500 still I am not complaining I chose this sport, but let's face it the money is behind the motivation of most of the instructors and ALL of the agency’s I do not know anyone but the military diver who got lessons for free.

Do you think the agencies don't understand this? Who was president of US divers? Who was a PADI founder? Get it yet?

Who is president of GUE? Who is president of Halcyon? Everyone has to make a living. You cannot blame padi for people wanting to make a dollar. Why did you open your dive shop Mike? I got bashed once for insinuating that a dive shop should offer something for nothin, I was wrong. If people don't wanna pay for training, how do you suggest the rest of the dive shops keep from going under? After the rest of the shops go under we can all buy from leisure pro. We can even send out tanks to be filled mail order.

Well I would love to know where you got your school done , Mine was $330 just for the class never mind the required gear I needed and the book. by the time I was done buying everything i needed for the classes I was in the $700-$800 I am not complaining I chose to dive. But come on buddy, wake up the instructors are mostly store owners and sell you everything you need and though they do not get rich from the lessons they make a hell of allot of money from the gear, again I am into gear for well over $2500 still I am not complaining I chose this sport, but let's face it the money is behind the motivation of most of the instructors and ALL of the agency’s I do not know anyone but the military diver who got lessons for free.

Whoa, you got screwed. I paid $130 for the class + book, maybe $150 for personal gear, and $50 for the OW dives. That's it. That's $330 for *everything*

most of the money you paid for the class either went to the shop or padi. I'm not an instructor but have a friend/mentor that is and believe me he ain't doin it for the money, gear discounts maybe but not the money. Most don't make squat unless you pay for a private class. Their percentage for selling you the gear is also next to nothing.

Back
Top Bottom