Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bearman13

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Im going to Thailand from june5th to 18th. Im seeking advise on where to dive as an advanced diver. Im willing to do a live aboard. Im willing to island hop. Im willing to get on air Asia and fly to Malaysia or something and dive there.

Whatever advise anyone has is much appreciated. My friend bailed on me and im going at it alone so I need to do something epic lol.

Too late for the LoB to Similan. Pity.
June is generally not the good time to dive the West coast of Thailand eg. Phuket, Koh Lanta. I, personally, would not bother with the long and tiring day trip from Phuket.
But:

There are couple of very good sites in Koh Tao but the rest around the area is not much interesting.

It will be a rush to do island hopping for the East Coast of Malaysia starting from Perhentian(Big and Small), Redang, Tenggol and Tioman near Singapore.

MOD:
Please move this thread to Thailand sub forum

We went to Koh Lipe in October a few years back, so the tail end of 'wet' season when you'd normally expect the most rain on the Andaman side of Thailand.
Stayed on sunrise beach on the east and dived with Adang Sea Divers. It's a nice island and weather was absolutely fine. The only rain I remember was a thunderstorm at night once, which was pretty spectacular! :)
Only did local dives from a longtail boat. All very chilled and easy, but nice, especially Stonehenge which has some interesting rock formations (hence the site name) covered with white and purple soft coral.
I believe there are some more interesting and challenging sites further away from Lipe island, eg 8 Mile.
One thing to bear in mind though, the sea can be pretty lumpy during that time of year (I guess that goes for June too??) and boat trip from the mainland was awful! Most people on the boat seemed to end up throwing up. Luckily my family managed to keep it down but it was the worst boat ride of my life! Mind you the ride back a week later was smooth and very pleasant, so I guess it depends on luck!

We stayed on Koh Tao's east coast 3 years ago. Very quiet and chilled. The west side of the island is more lively, but the dive sites are busier!!
Dived with Calypso divers who were great! Only did local dives along the east coast which were nice and quiet but nothing mind-blowing. As mentioned above, there are some top dive sites within reach as a day trip from Koh Tao, eg Chumphon pinnacle.
So maybe worth a look at Koh Tao too.

Koh Lanta.
But I have no knowledge about diving there in June. It requires a short ferry ride from the mainland. All the best sites(for me) are quite a distance away so sea condition is highly critical.

Full moon party in Koh Phangan(short ferry ride from Koh Tao) is on 14th June so too late.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom