Thailand Richelieu Rock March 8-13 2022 - 30% off deal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barmaglot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm not affiliated with The Smiling Seahorse, except that I've already signed up for this specific trip a few weeks ago (having done five trips with them over the past year), and I was told yesterday that due to cancellations caused by Thailand's new arrivals policy (have to test on arrival at the airport, and on day five at a testing center), there might not be enough people to sail.

This is a photography-oriented trip, spending the better part of three days (13 dives in total) at Richelieu Rock - Thailand's best dive site. Large schools of batfish, trevallys, snappers, fusiliers, glassfish covering the reef, bright corals everywhere, along with a large variety of macro critters. Here is Alex Tyrrell's article at Dive Photo Guide describing the site in more detail. Normally you'd see a dozen-plus boats moored around the site, and the divers in the water outnumber the marine life, but I did this route with The Smiling Seahorse a month ago (January 22-27) and for half the dives, we were the only boat there - this is a rare chance to enjoy this site away from the crowds. Two more dives are scheduled to be conducted at Koh Bon island, two more at Koh Tachai, and one is a blackwater, likely near Koh Tachai - that area has the deepest water around, approximately 70-80 meters, which gives the best variety of subjects on a blackwater dive.

Now the Thai government is about to change the policy again - from what I understand, starting March 1st, you still need to do a PCR test on arrival in the airport, but the day 5 test has been replaced by a self-ATK, with results reported via app, which makes things a lot easier for short-term visitors.

Yesterday I also saw the below ad on facebook, and I'm reposting it here in a nakedly selfish attempt to salvage my own trip :wink:

1645695332830.png

Doesn’t it say 18 dives? 6 day 5 nights, $1540 less 30% damn good deal, good chance of seeing whale sharks too.

Doesn’t it say 18 dives?
It's 13 dives at Richelieu Rock + 2 dives at Koh Bon + 2 dives at Koh Tachai + 1 blackwater, so total 18.

Note however that the advertised price (from which the discount comes) does not include nitrox (3600 baht), marine park fees (2600 baht) and hotel transfers; those are extras. There is also an additional 500 baht surcharge on the blackwater dive.

Got it, even with the other charges it’s pretty cheap and meal’s included.

Hopefully you'll see the schooling of Barracudas in Koh Tachai.

Yeah, I've had that school come real close when I was at a safety stop, but my camera was already clipped off and covered... another time I saw them from the pinnacle, but messed up the exposure - I was shooting one-handed, using my other hand to hold on against the current.
KexwTFl.jpg

I did get an interesting shot of them last year, when I was down on the pinnacle and they formed a tornado near the surface, but due to the distance involved, I had to process it into black and white.

tYs58d1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom