Thailand questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to ScubaBoard. It is good to have you with us. There are lots of people on this board from your local area. Plenty of people to setup dives with.

MoonWrasse:
Many people do their AOW at the Similans.
In PADI AOW, you'll spend a brief portion normally during the dive doing a skill
specific to the AOW unit.
Then the remainder of the dive will be a fun dive.

I done four AOW courses in the Similans this week, during one of the dives we had the company of a Manta for a short time, that doesnt happen many times during a local AOW course :) so would def recommend an AOW course in the Similans. Additionally if anyone is heading that way I should take some exposure protection (minimum 3mm shorty) those thermoclines are a getting a bit chilly now.

Thanks for the suggestion orangelemon. I've been wondering about the suit.

orangelemon:
I done four AOW courses in the Similans this week, during one of the dives we had the company of a Manta for a short time, that doesnt happen many times during a local AOW course :) so would def recommend an AOW course in the Similans. Additionally if anyone is heading that way I should take some exposure protection (minimum 3mm shorty) those thermoclines are a getting a bit chilly now.
Lol, that's how you can tell the REAL instructors from the regular divers - they wear full suits when it's 95F out :wink:

Anyway, many dive shops will rent you a well peed in shorty for a few bucks. However if you are plus sized like a Sweede (read normal size M becomes a Thai size XL), you might be better off carrying your own or getting one made, say at Hotwave. Then it's yours to mark as your own :D

http://www.hotwavephuket.com/price_list.htm

Made our decision!!! Going to go w/ SeaDragon out of Khao Lak, waiting to here from Alphons if we can make the 1/25/07 Mariner 3D/3N Similan/Koh Bon. After wading thru LOTS of prev. posts, this outfit seems to have a good rep, w/ a few exceptions of course,(if you're one of these, please don't pop my bubble). We'll arrive a couple days early and maybe do a day trip dive to Ban Sak wreck or Thai Muang wreck or the local reef. Anybody been?? BTW, my local dive shop/instructors will let me return gear if I don't like it, and from reading the BCD vs. BPW, I'm perplexed. The consensus seems to be most divers 'grow into' the latter. Would one then recommend a diver planning upwards of 20 dives in a month in Thailand to get used to this equipment now? When I dive local, it's Pacific Northwest, if that matters. Thanks for everyones help!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom