Thailand or Philippines for IDC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gollyfish

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I've been registered here for a while but haven't posted before. I have got lots of great info from the boards though so thanks for that!

I'm now at the point where I need to decide where to take my IDC, and who with. I'm leaning towards either Thailand or Philippines but there is so much info out there I thought I would ask for some advice.

I'm looking for a good dive center where I will get quality training, my aim being to find work teaching once I'm qualified.

Can anyone give me any advice or recommendations?

I realize a lot depends on my skills, personality and work ethic etc, so I'm just looking for some general tips and advice as to how easy/difficult it would be to find work in each country once qualified. Plus any recommendations you might have of course.

Also any advice on gaining work permits for each country would be much appreciated.

I will likely take a few specialty instructor courses also and hopefully by then be able to teach in French (very rusty at the minute).

All suggestions and advice welcome.

Thanks in advance for the help!

GF

Hi there and welcome,

When were you thinking about doing the IDC?

This could make a difference regarding working after you become an instructor. For example, Phuket has its busy season starting around November which should make it easier to find gainful (?) employment then.

I guess one of the next questions would be what type of place are you dreaming about......coconut palm fringed island or nightlife and all the amenities. Great diving being a given :D

Hi onthespot,

It will probably be around June/july next year when I head out. So I'll probably have finished the idc and be looking for work from august.

As to what kind of place I'm looking for, well so long as there is good diving, a few bars and places to eat around I'm pretty happy.

Ive been to Thailand a few times and always enjoyed it, I could happily live on phi phi, koh Tao or anywhere similar. I've also spent time on quieter islands like tioman in Malaysia and enjoyed that too. I would probably stay away from the more developed places like pattaya.

It's all about the nice warm water!

Cheers

You could do your IDC on either Phi Phi (IE in Phuket) or Koh Tao. You would be a bit early for the high season on Phi Phi.

If you need work upon completion of your course, you maybe better off doing the IDC in a busier place. For example Phuket has many dive shops which offer courses, daytrips and also liveaboards. You would need a work permit to legally work (and get a longer visa) in Thailand.

Sorry, I dont have any experience of the Philippines.

Thanks OTS,

I think I am leaning towards Thailand, probably Koh Tao or Phuket. Like you say the busier the place the more likely to pick up a bit of work.

Hopefully i can pick up some experience and get my foot through the door somewhere, then look at getting a work permit.

I'll look through the Thailand board to see if i can get a rough idea of costs for the work permit.

Cheers

Hi Gollyfish,

Here's couple of websites to check out - one from Thailand and one from the Philippines. Both offer great IDCs - Thailand - Philippines.

From a work permit point of view, the Philippines is much, much easier. Thailand seems to get a little more difficult each year.....

Hi There,
If you are interested to do your IDC in Phuket, please take a look at our website, Scuba Cat Diving is a 5 star CDC center, we have an average of 4/5 candidates per course, we offer very nice IDC package including free diving and liveaboard experience.

Take care of you

I've been a diving instructor/centre manager in both Thailand and the Philippines. An IDC is pretty much the same, wherever you go. Quality comes in the form of having a great Course Director.

Thailand has a much, much larger tourist industry than the Philippines. That tends to mean bigger dive centers and more customer turn-over. The benefit of that for IDC and newly graduated instructors is that there are plenty of students to teach...and plenty of teaching experience to be shared with you.

Philippines is a great place, but the scuba industry is smaller here. Also, because the population generally speaks good english - the vast majority of instructors are Filipino. It can be hard to get teaching work/work permits because a Filipino can do the job equally well.

Of course, a large factor in your decision would be the non-diving characteristics of the location. Tell us what sort of things you like... what atmosphere, activities etc you want...and we can help guide you to the best choice for you :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom