Thailand or Malaysia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnylaw

Reaction score
My husband and I are planning our trip in Asia (Thailand
or Malaysia) for 4 days in Aug. We plan to spend 1-2 days
scuba diving. The places that we are thinking about are:
Phuket/Phi Phi, Langkawi, Kota Kinabalu. We got certified
last April and are looking for something fun and easy. In
particular, we want to avoid choppy ocean and strong
currents. Anyone has any suggestion?

- Jackie

getting there and back in four days may not be so easy. From most Asian cities you can fly directly into Phuket. From there you must take a ferry (or charter a speedboat) to Phi, and probability has it that you'll arrive too late and have to stay overnight in Phuket. Could be the same on the return. So, although Phi Phi is beautiful, you may want to consider a day snorkling trip. Check out http://www.travelforum.org/thailand for better, up to the minute information. You'll be able to get information on specific flight times from Asian cities and ferry times.

You could stay in Phuket and do a couple of dive days based from there. One of the best dives in that area is half the distance from Phuket to Phi Phi, it is a three dive day trip , trips leave every day from Phi Phi and Phuket. The dive is anenome reef, King Cruiser Wreck, and Shark Point. For more on these see the Paul Lee's book, "the dive sites of Thailand" available all over Thailand.

I haven't been to Malaysia, but asked the same question you did on several boards. You'll get opinions from people who have travelled to both places on the board linked above.

Hi Jackie - I hope this is not too late for you. I live in Thailand and can recommend a place that is relatively easy to get to (as opposed to getting to Phuket, Phi Phi etc) and has nice easy dives with not much, if any, current.

Check out http://www.scubasearch.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?ID=940023856 for info.

You can email me if you have any questions.
Good luck!
:)

I agree that the places you mentioned may not be easy to get to in 1-2 days. Langkawi is accessible from Penang if you happen to be in Malaysia. I just got back from a 5 day trip to Sipadan off Borneo which may be where you are thinking from Kota Kinabalu, but it is a long journey involving two flights, a coach and a boat. Labuan may be easier to get to from KK.

It's only one flight, a coach and a boat ride only. Kota Kinabalu is in Sabah. Unless you are referring to Kuala Lumpur.

jnylaw... the places you've mentioned for a 1-2 day of diving it is advisable that you do Phuket / Phi Phi or Langkawi.

It is not worthy to fly all the way to Kota Kinabalu just to dive. However, Kota Kinabalu (Sabah) has lot's of other attraction such as Mountain Kinabalu, Poring Hot Springs, the Natural Rain Forest, White Water Rafting, the Orangutan Sacntuary and the Culture you might want to check out.

Now here is a real advise you might want to take. Should you be a Diver and visiting Sabah or near Sabah. Sipadan - Mabul island is a must go. It is a major diving sin if you didn't.

Thailand:

Koh Racha Ray
www.rayadrivers.com

Koh Lanta
www.kolanta.net

Malaysia:

Phentian islands or all the way to Sipidan

It depens on time.....if you have all the time go to sipidan!!

4 days.....Ko Racha Ray just 20 km aoutside phuket!

KBN

Hi Jackie,

Just some additional comments:

Phuket and Phi Phi - these areas are located within the Andaman Sea, which will experience monsoon and rainy season from the months of June-October. Sea conditions can be rough at certain sites and although you can take the daily trips out, it wont be much fun if it rains. And as Mattie had mentioned, getting over to Phi Phi is a real piece of work - there are only 2 ferries a day, and during the off-peak season, only one. once you miss the connection you would have to wait it out till the next day.

If you are going to Thailand in Aug, it will be a better bet to dive Koh Tao, Koh Samui and Koh Pha-ngan located in the Gulf of Thailand - this is the best time to dive the Gulf of Thailand.

Langkawi - would suggest you drop this place if it means more days elsewhere! expensive, touristy place, and the diving is nothing to shout about really. beach is no big deal too, you can find better beaches elsewhere at a much better price.

Sipadan - the prob is getting there, takes quite a bit of travelling. This is really a top site, and you will not do justice to the place just doing a few days of diving here. It is best to spend at least 5 days of diving here. Would even suggest you drop the rest of your itinerary and just spend all your diving days here :)

Perhentian/Redang are great sites as well. However, it takes time to get to the islands as well, what with the domestic flight connection and catching the ferries to the islands. Tioman is easier to get to, but i dont think it's worth flying all the way down.

I would second SaltyWhale's advice - base your 4 days in Kota Kinabalu, which has lots of land-based attractions worth checking out, then nip on down to Sipadan for some diving. hmmmm come to think about it, i doubt 4 days are enough :wink:

i think you will have to prioritise - which is more important - the diving or the land-based travelling? If land-based is important, Thailand might be easier, coz you can do some day trips, and still squeeze in other land-activities easily.

Hi asiandivergal

My hats off to you. You surely know your facts well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom