Thailand Island - Base for Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smartcar8

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, we are in the early stages planning a trip to Thailand next November. One of the things we would like to do is do a week of diving and probably we will be taking the AOW course as well - so we are trying to decide which island would be the best place to stay. We are not partiers and prefer quieter areas. That said we don't want to be in too remote a place as would like some things to do in the area in addition to diving. Any suggestions, recommendations and info much appreciated!

If you do a search youll find much information on different areas. On the Andaman Coast Ao Nang, Phi Phi, Koh Lanta, Khao Lak and Phuket could all offer what you're looking for.

I prefer Phuket since it offers daytrips to all destinations except for Koh Haa and Hin Daeng/Muang.

While I'd throw in Krabi as a choice too - StevenL is a great contact and has looked after me a couple of times. Phuket around Patong is a circus, fun for a night if you've never seen ladyboys in all their glory..a nice option would be to start in Phuket and do the usual sites then hop on a ferry and spend a few days in Krabi at Ao Nang where you may get to hin Daeng/Muang. I'd recommend Poseidon dive in Krabi. If you want a really chilled island Koh Lipe would be my choice just over Koh Lanta...caveat..have never looked at diving in Lanta.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom