Thailand, Indo or Philipines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skim

Registered
Reaction score
About to throw in my job and head to Asia for at least sixmonths to get fully qualified. Really interested yto hear opinions about the best place to do the course; a mix of best diving, good prices (for courses, accommodation, food), a social life of some sort and the likelihood of picking up some work on completion. Any suggestions would be truly welcomed.

Hi Skim - Respect for your decision.

The Philis (i was in the Visayas, the area in the middle) are cheap, have good diving, quite a Western dive community which should allow you more easy to find a job at the end of the day and various place you can try to learn the skills / monetize them if acquired (do a search for Moalboal, Alona Beach, Apo Island, Malapascua).

Manado on Sulawesi, Indonesia has probably even better diving, its Bunaken park is one of the must dives in the world. Other sites (Bankga, Ganggha Isl) are opening up now as well, providing even more great diving (and perhaps, demand for qualified instructors). It is a micro dive industry.

Thailand's best diving is off-shore and reached by liveaboards (unless you want to consider Ko Tao - I would not) so that may be a bit harder with a view on getting your training in. The Phi Phis had nice diving but I guess that place will take some time to re-emerge.

There is tons of info on this site - sure you'll find what you need.

All the best, happy diving! Arie.

Arie from Amsterdam. You don't know a Kiwi guy who was living in the Dam for a while, a boyfriend of a friend of yours?

Why not Ko Tao?????

How long are you out on most liveaboards? Can you do short trips? 2 days?

Bombarie:
Hi Skim - Respect for your decision.

The Philis (i was in the Visayas, the area in the middle) are cheap, have good diving, quite a Western dive community which should allow you more easy to find a job at the end of the day and various place you can try to learn the skills / monetize them if acquired (do a search for Moalboal, Alona Beach, Apo Island, Malapascua).

Manado on Sulawesi, Indonesia has probably even better diving, its Bunaken park is one of the must dives in the world. Other sites (Bankga, Ganggha Isl) are opening up now as well, providing even more great diving (and perhaps, demand for qualified instructors). It is a micro dive industry.

Thailand's best diving is off-shore and reached by liveaboards (unless you want to consider Ko Tao - I would not) so that may be a bit harder with a view on getting your training in. The Phi Phis had nice diving but I guess that place will take some time to re-emerge.

There is tons of info on this site - sure you'll find what you need.

All the best, happy diving! Arie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom