Thailand in July, good dive centers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divekitty

Reaction score
I'm thinking about going to Thailand next summer to pursue a DM internship. I've heard that dive centers on the Andaman side are shut down due to weather, but the Gulf of Thailand side is okay. Could anyone recommend any good dive centers on the Gulf? I've been told Buddah View Diving School in Koh Tao is pretty good - can anyone give additional info on it?

I think the Andaman side has better diving, but will have to go to the Gulf as summer is when I'll have a large chunk of time available. If anyone has suggestions re. other areas in SE Asia that would be good for pursuing an internship, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

The weather on the Andaman Side is unpredictable, but wether DC's close depends on the region they're operating. Here in Phuket, nearly all DC's are open all year 'round.

divekitty:
I'm thinking about going to Thailand next summer to pursue a DM internship. I've heard that dive centers on the Andaman side are shut down due to weather, but the Gulf of Thailand side is okay. Could anyone recommend any good dive centers on the Gulf? I've been told Buddah View Diving School in Koh Tao is pretty good - can anyone give additional info on it?

I think the Andaman side has better diving, but will have to go to the Gulf as summer is when I'll have a large chunk of time available. If anyone has suggestions re. other areas in SE Asia that would be good for pursuing an internship, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

I've heard also that the Andaman side has far better diving.

If you are going to Koh Tao though, I can recommend DC that I used in August this year. Taa Toh Lagoon. Small outfit, small groups, 2 or three to a DM. O2 on boat and 2 way radio communications. Instructors were excellent as were the standard of dms. In fact one of the people working as a dm was an instructor. Equipment was excellent too.

I've heard mixed reports about Buddah View. Some people say they are great, others dislike them because they are a very big DC with large groups going to the sites on their boat.

Depends on which you prefer really.

Hope you find something you like.
paddyp

yep, agree with the comment about buddha view, personally wsn't for me. I'd do what paddyp is sgguesting and look at a small / medium sized shop. For me my fav was asia divers on koh tao but the standard generally is very good. asia divers won it for me as they dont limit you to a max of 60 dives on the internship.

Have fun, and let us know how you get on. message me if you need any further details on koh tao dive centres, accom or dive sites.

cheers, Greg

Check out Crystal Dive. They aren't as big as Buddha, Bans or Big Blue but have excellent facilities including large dive boats, swimming pool and brand new equipment. I did my DM with them last year and logged over 100 dives. At the end of the day if i where you i'd do what i did. Wait till you get to the island and go around and see for yourself.

Thanks for the suggestions and information re. size/quality. I'd prefer to go with a smaller outfit so it doesn't feel like a rushed/herded experience. I'll check out the sites of the DCs you all mentioned. Also, Dorsetboy mentioned that his DC didn't limit the number of dives to 60. I was under the impression that when one is doing a DM internship that the diving is usually unlimited. Wrong impression, I guess. What is the general standard?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom