Thailand - Help With Liveaboard Selection (October 2018)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cerberus

Registered
Reaction score
I will be in Thailand for work and I’m planning to stay additional week (+/- day) to dive. The dates I planning to spend on diving are between October 26 and November 3 (flying back to US on Nov 4). I spent some time looking through this forum and doing some research online and I decided to go with a liveaboard (never done one). However, it looks like I can either pick Northern or Southern route as no ships sail to both locations on the same trip.

I am considering SY Diva Andaman for two reasons: while most expensive, it appears to have the best reviews and it’s only ship I was able to find that sails for 7 days that leaves as close to my “arrival” date. I want to do 7 days so that I can maximize my stay / amount of dives. Another option (not sure how doable mainly due to cost), is to go on MV Giamani (Oct 26-28) that does Hin Deang/Muang and then do SY Diva which goes to Similans/Richelieu (Oct 28 – Nov 3).

Couple of questions for those of you that have been to Thailand:
1. Have you used either SY Diva or Giamani? Thoughts?
2. What company did you chose to book the trip? Did you book directly with the dive operator?*
3. Did you buy trip insurance? Where? Does it cover full cost if you cancel your trip?
4. Is North “better” than South (i.e, am I really missing out by not visiting Hin Deang/Muang)?
5. What would you do differently knowing what you know now?

*I’m quite curious to know only because I found prices are different depending where you book. I also read reviews that some people had a nightmare when it came to actually going on a boat (wasn’t booked correctly, hard to deal with the company, etc.)

I really appreciate your input!

1. Diva Andaman is not comparable to Giamani, much, much nicer and luxurious.
2. Check my signature line :)
3. Your travel insurance should cover trip cancellation.
4. Depends, in general October is a bit early for a south trip.
5. I would have left my home country and come to Phuket years earlier :)

1. Diva Andaman is not comparable to Giamani, much, much nicer and luxurious.
2. Check my signature line :)
3. Your travel insurance should cover trip cancellation.
4. Depends, in general October is a bit early for a south trip.
5. I would have left my home country and come to Phuket years earlier :)

It would depend on what circumstances the cancellation was a result of....You would have to read the coverage policies. Some have a cancel for any reason, some have cancellation due to sickness or injuries and have definitions of this and sometimes include immediate family if you have to care for them, or if you are laid off a job, or if your home is made uninhabitable due to a disaster (with what they define as a disaster), etc. There are too many specific circumstances to cover in a simple post but do read the policy carefully and ensure that the cancellation coverage you are looking for is included.

OP is looking for a luxury liveaboard.
I apologize for the confusion, but no, I am not specifically look at "luxury" liveaboard's. What I am look for is ways to maximize my week long stay by doing max amount of dives. Diva was the only ship I found that leaves near Oct 26th and sails for 7 days (others sail 3-5 days). There was another boat that did 8 days (can't remember the name), but I can't do it because of the dates (I think it leaves on the 31st and returns on November 5th or so).

It would depend on what circumstances the cancellation was a result of....You would have to read the coverage policies. Some have a cancel for any reason, some have cancellation due to sickness or injuries and have definitions of this and sometimes include immediate family if you have to care for them, or if you are laid off a job, or if your home is made uninhabitable due to a disaster (with what they define as a disaster), etc. There are too many specific circumstances to cover in a simple post but do read the policy carefully and ensure that the cancellation coverage you are looking for is included.

This is true. I guess I should have specified that I am looking for insurance that covers 100% if cancelled for any reason.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just checked it, and unfortunately, the dates do not work.
I also used loves diving not super amazing as you will share the boat with other operators. But still a good shop. Sea bees have their own boats.

I will be in Thailand for work and I’m planning to stay additional week (+/- day) to dive. The dates I planning to spend on diving are between October 26 and November 3 (flying back to US on Nov 4). I spent some time looking through this forum and doing some research online and I decided to go with a liveaboard (never done one). However, it looks like I can either pick Northern or Southern route as no ships sail to both locations on the same trip.

I am considering SY Diva Andaman for two reasons: while most expensive, it appears to have the best reviews and it’s only ship I was able to find that sails for 7 days that leaves as close to my “arrival” date. I want to do 7 days so that I can maximize my stay / amount of dives. Another option (not sure how doable mainly due to cost), is to go on MV Giamani (Oct 26-28) that does Hin Deang/Muang and then do SY Diva which goes to Similans/Richelieu (Oct 28 – Nov 3).

Couple of questions for those of you that have been to Thailand:
1. Have you used either SY Diva or Giamani? Thoughts?
2. What company did you chose to book the trip? Did you book directly with the dive operator?*
3. Did you buy trip insurance? Where? Does it cover full cost if you cancel your trip?
4. Is North “better” than South (i.e, am I really missing out by not visiting Hin Deang/Muang)?
5. What would you do differently knowing what you know now?

*I’m quite curious to know only because I found prices are different depending where you book. I also read reviews that some people had a nightmare when it came to actually going on a boat (wasn’t booked correctly, hard to deal with the company, etc.)

I really appreciate your input!

Hi there,

We offer Thailand liveaboards with a number of operators and I've checked to see who has departures around your dates. We have availability on the vessels you mentioned, plus you could look at the Pawara, Sawasdee Fasai and Hallelujah. They all have good customer reviews and the Pawara and Sawasdee Fasai have 10% discounts at the moment.

We also price match, so if you do book with us you'll be getting the best price possible. :)

Enjoy planning your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom