Thailand - Good and Bad...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lukeROB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm back home, but back at work. This is just going to be a few quick words and I'll try put together a bit of a report when I have some time.

Firstly the Good: diving around the Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachi and Richielue Rock was great. There was very little visible damage at most sites and visibility was 20m+ on most dives especially around the Similans. At many sites there was around 5-10% damage at a guess on the upper reefs. Parts of the site East of Eden had a little more but it was still a fantastic dive.

The only dive I would consider bad was Turtle Point (or Turtle Cove?) in the Surin Islands. This had major damage trees, branches and mud everywhere. Vis was poor and there was large amounts of destroyed and broken coral. However I still saw my first ever juvinile shaded batfish which was a highlight.

Now the Bad: First dive was Richielue Rock, vis Ok but not fantastic around 10-12m. On the descent my camera flooded (yes the trusty A70 has died a painful death). Yes all the preparation and waiting for the liveaboard and now no camera. So unfortunately there are no photos to share. I still had the video cam though and got some nice footage when I used it - but it wasn't the same. It felt weird not having the camera and I kept setting up shots that could never be. Oh well.

I still enjoyed the diving and it was good in a way as I had some really good fun not having to fiddle with anything and just relax and let everything around me happen. The fish life was great and the reef tops very pretty but I now realise how much I enjoy macro. I still spent most of the dives trying to find critters but definaltely found the reefs less rich than my last trip in Bali. There was however bigger fish, like dogtooth tuna cruising around but again this did not compare to the big fish diving I did in Cocos (Keeling).

All in all though it was a great place to dive and the topography of many sites was something I had never experienced so this was really cool. Some sites had significant current 1 - 2 knots, which is basically impossible to swim into and because the site is not a dift makes for some difficult dives. However I would say that most sites are very easy to dive and the Similan islands would be a great place for many but I would probably not dive there again purely because I believe I have seen better (I may also be bias because I didn't have the camera?).

Anyway enough rambling - just letting everyone know that Thailand is safe to return and the diving remains. However it is like a ghost town in parts of Phuket. I think people should return soon because the economy there must really be suffering.

I'll post some short video once I have edited some of it. This may be a long process as I have never done this before.

Thanks for the report - glad you made it back safe - sorry about the camera, for you and me :D.

Not the Canon!!! :11: :11:

Sorry to hear of the flood...looking forward to the video, though!

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip...you know you have to add another thing to your new shopping list: back up!! :wink:

So sorry to hear about the camera. Do you know what happened? Glad you enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to the video. Just don't go over to the darkside, eh? Hopefully the tourist industry will pick up and help get their economy back on track.

Dee:
So sorry to hear about the camera. Do you know what happened?

Haven't really looked into what happened. I just put it to the back of my mind because I didn't want it to annoy me and ruin the rest of my trip. Now that I am home it is pretty upsetting though. The worst part is I totally cleaned the housing and bought a brand new o-ring just for the trip. This was the first dive with the new oring so who knows - I dived a week before with the old one and didn't have a problem. I guess this is my luck, I always manage to have an accident of some sort on a holiday.

I had bought a new camera on the way duty free - Canon G6! :wink: But yet to get a housing, so don't worry the dark side hasn't taken over yet. I found it much harder to be creative with the video. It would be very cool to catch behaviour but this is often difficult because creatures usually don't like being disturbed. I also found it very hard to hold the camera steady which is never an issue shooting photos because you only need to be in the right position for a second. Can't wait to get my ikelite.

Anyone need Wide angle, macro, a gripbase II and lens holders - and a DC700 if your willing to get it overhauled and pressure tested before use. :eyebrow:

Very sorry for the camera.

I know how you felt. Happen the same to me beginning of December in Thailand.
We will your photo but waiting for the video.

Was this a failure of the A70 housing? I have an A75 that I believe takes the same Canon housing. I was planning to get one for our April trip.

PS Nice shots in gallery!

Luke -

Do you know if those accerssories will fit the other A series housings? Specifically for the A75? If so, you might have a winner over here :) I mean, if you can't use them again wouldn't want them to go to waste!

cfelliot:
Was this a failure of the A70 housing? I have an A75 that I believe takes the same Canon housing. I was planning to get one for our April trip.

PS Nice shots in gallery!

I doubt it was a housing failure, more likely something I did wrong / didn't check. I have used this housing successfully for well over a year and done more than 100 dives with it. Never had a problem before. I will look into the cause very shortly for my own interest, but most likely I didn't seat the new oring properly.

For a cheap option and with cheap cameras like the A75 these housing are your best bet. Although I will be happy to get something a bit more sturdy and easier to maintain yourself like the ikelite. I really wanted to get canon to do maintenance on the housing before I left just in case but they wouldn't have it back to me for 3 weeks which was longer than I had before I left. Their customer service in this department is definately lacking - I understand backlogs but surely something that is time critical should be processed first. Anyway I guess I may as well have left it behind in the end.

Back
Top Bottom