Thailand diving info, request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seahep

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are going to Thailand early April, 2008 for 3 weeks, and I'm looking for hints and tips.

1. Should we book a liveaboard now or wait till we arrive (I've been told that you can save a bundle if you can find a boat going out with spots available)
2. Is Phuket the best place to focus on diving, day charters and liveaboard
3. Hope to spend some time on land as well, should we bring our own gear
4. Recommended liveaboard, and dive operation
5. Suggestions regarding what we must see or must do, above and below water.
6. Planning on staying in guest houses, Phuket, Bangkok, Chiang Mai - any favourites for these locations

Tanks
Brian

You will have a blast!

In Phuket Kevan and Chantal at Phuket Scuba Club have always taken good care of me. They post as Ringo on this board and are always very helpful, without being self-promoting. They will treat you like family. For everything from shore diving up to live-aboards they can either take care of you or give you sound advice. They have been there for many years and know the area well. They know the dive sites and the liveaboards and will not steer you wrong.

Ask about the "Junk" liveaboard!

I always carry my own gear, but in general, equipment rental is very reasonably priced in Thailand. I would at least take my own mask, fins, snorkel and wetsuit. Not that you will need much of a wetsuit. I often dive there in a rashie and shorts, but you might get chilly on some of the deeper dives.

There are many other great dive ops in that area, but this is one that I have personal experience with over several years.

Chok di khrap! (good luck)
Thomjinx

I'd also look into Khao Lak for the liveaboards - bit quieter than Phuket. Think it's a bit closer to places like Richelieu Rock - check out Sea Dragon. It's also worth looking into getting a bit further south and doing some day dives from Koh Lanta at Hin Daeng, Hin Muang & Koh Ha.

Seahep,

Bring your own regs as well. I've seen a lot of crappy rental gear. The extra weight is so worth the effort. The diving is almost always better in the Andaman Sea, but if you have time it is worth diving some of the wrecks in Pattaya. The Hardeep is only about 24-28 meters. The bus from Ekamai is the cheapest way to get there from BKK in about 1.5 hours. You could splurge and get a cab as well. Mermaid's will pick you up at your hotel or guest house.

PM if you have any questions.

Arizona

1. You can wait, and in April you can be sure there will be places available. Just take into account, that you may not end up on the boat of your preference. Also, quite a few of the boats don't do last minute offers, but others do.
2. From Phuket you can organise trips to everywhere, including daytrips and liveaboards to Similans and Hin Daeng/Muang. So making Phuket your base gives you most flexibility. Also, all operators departing from Khao Lak you can also book from Phuket, so no problem at all.
3. Some of the DC's have good gear, some not so good. So you should be able to find people offering good gear at reasonable prices, thereby eliminating the need to bring your own gear. Of course, you are more familiair and comfortable with your own gear. It really is your decision whether or not you want to log it all around yes or no.
4. Lots of boats and DC's, so it depends a lot on what you're looking for. What kind of boat, bunk beds, twin bed or double bed, bathrooms en-suite, atmosphere on the boat, who does the boat normally cater for, etc.
5. Lots of things to do and see on Phuket and in the area as well.
6. On Phuket: check out Kata Beach, most of the cheaper places are there.

Hi Seahep

Phuket is definitely the starting point for Thailands best liveaboards.

Stevenl is right it may be worth waiting to find the best bargains although your choice may be limited as your preferred boats might be filled by the time you come to act. There are a fair number of Last Minute Thailand Liveaboards so you need to stay on top of that situation.

As far as recommendations go you will probably hear a hundred different stories from a hundred different divers so get an idea of your budget, have a look through your range of Thailand Liveaboards and then talk to someone who can advise you on your best choice.

Have a great time!

1. Should we book a liveaboard now or wait till we arrive...

Anyone who owns or works for an online booking dive shop will say Book Now. But that's no joke. April is not peak season, but if your trip conicides with Songkran it is a busy period. I know a couple of boats are already chartered for that period. If you turn up or wait until the last minute you will probably find "something" available. If you're not too fussy about which boat or exact dates, that's fine. If you wish to plan your trip with a bit more detail, booking ahead is a good idea. A few boats actually have early booking offers too.

2. Is Phuket the best place to focus on diving, day charters and liveaboard

Yes, yes and yes. Liveaboards are mostly based either in Phuket or Khao Lak, but Phuket has a lot more variety for day trips if you wish to do more than just a liveaboard.

3. Hope to spend some time on land as well, should we bring our own gear

If you have your own gear and love your own gear, bring it. If you are not diving, it will be sitting in your hotel. How often will you actually need to carry it? Gear rental is pretty cheap, though - about 15 US$/day.

4. Recommended liveaboard, and dive operation

Depends on your budget of course - a summary:

Thailand Liveaboards

For Phuket, try my blog link below or feel free to send me a message.

6. Planning on staying in guest houses, Phuket, Bangkok, Chiang Mai - any favourites for these locations

When you say Guesthouse you mean low budget? In Phuket, try the Pineapple Guesthouse in Karon Beach. Not sure for Bangkok, been years since I had to brave the big city - I stayed a couple of times at a place called Tavee Guesthouse, but have no idea what it's like now. Chiang Mai - sorry can't help - you might ask on the Lonely Planet Thorntree about that.

Have a good trip,

Jamie
Phuket

Get your international driver's license before you go. Rent a couple of motor bikes and bring your camera along. There's lots to take pictures of.

Do eat at the road side stands. Contrary to popular US belief, the food is safe and it's the best tasting Thai food. Just don't drink the water unless it's from a sealed bottle. Other places to eat in Kata are Coffee Cup (awesome steaks) and Luky Tom's, great Thai, German, American, seafood, etc food.

Learn to say Hello (Sawasdee krap for male speaker and Sawasdee ka female speaker [pronounced Sow-a-dee krup]) and Thank You (Kahb kun krap for male speaker and Kahb kun ka for female speaker [pronounced kob koon krup]) It's just a courtesy thing.

We had a great time on the Philkade and are going back in November. You can see a trip report, gallery and slideshow at our site. We found these guys very helpfull in finding a liveaboard that worked for us: http://siamdivers.com

My wife and I are also going on the Philkade in November on the 14th through the 20th and are excited about it. Its our first liveaboard to Thailand and we have heard great trip reports about it.

Back
Top Bottom