Thailand diving early November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PDiver

Registered
Reaction score
I am travelling to Thailand end of October-early November and am not sure which is the best place to dive.

Would Kao Lak be good, or does it suffer from the Monsoon?
Or do I definitely need to go further South, somewhere like Koh Lanta or Koh Phi Phi? And which of the two would be best (I am quite experienced)?

Thanks for your help!

November is considered the start of the high season on Thailand's west coast. That doesn't guarantee you great weather, of course, but it should be ok and all of the dive centres should be open by then. Weather-wise, Khao Lak and sites further south receive very similar weather conditions and have the same seasons.

Generally, Khao Lak is the jumping off point for Liveaboards to the Similans and beyond, so it's the best option if you want a Liveaboard. Further south also has good diving, both around Ko Lanta and Ko Phi Phi, but it tends to be day trips rather than Liveaboards. Ko Lanta is closer to Hin Daeng/Muang, which are famous for Manta & Whaleshark sightings, while Ko Phi Phi is closer to the Bida Islands, which are top dive sites, plus the King Cruiser wreck if you are interested in wrecks.

Phuket. Choice of liveaboards to the Similans leaving from Phuket and Khao Lak, daytrips to most divesites like Shark point area, Racha Islands, Bida Islands, Hin Daeng/Muang and liveaboards to Hin Daeng/Muang etc.

From Phuket you'll have the biggest choice of divesites.

From Ao Nang Krabi, you have all the diving from the local islands, to Shark Point, Phi Phi, Bidas, even do Koh Dok Mai every now and again, Hin Daeng/Muang and Koh Haa with its beautiful lagoon, chimney and cathedral. Day boats or overnight trips with a stop on Phi Phi, the choice is yours! A transfer over to Khao Lak and the west coast opens up to you. When it's really windy on the west coast, we usually get a bit more shelter in Krabi.

like UWAsia says November is start of Andaman high season. Weather shoud be changing by then and Similans open for business. I prefer Khao Lak as a jumping off point for the Andaman dive sites but that is just personal taste and proximity.

However nobody can guarantee the weather and you could be unlucky.

If you are cautious you may want to take the insurance policy of diving around the protected Krabi area like Katdiver suggests.

Thank you all for your help, great advice!

Will try to keep it open and play it by ear depending on the weather when I am there...

Paula

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom