TG6 + Macro Wet Lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blatchy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone

Does anyone have any experience using a Macro wet lens with a TG6/TG5? I'm trying to get a little more magnification from my set up for critters like Skeleton Shrimp, Nudi's and Crinoid Shrimp etc.

The article below makes mention of using a UCL-900 with a TG5, and has some pretty impressive results, however cruising through some of the forums it appears most people are against the idea on these particular cameras and believe there is no point. This has me a little confused due to the excellent photos presented in the article which is in contradiction to most peoples opinions online.

Olympus TG-5 for underwater usage - and how it performs with AOI wet lenses

If anyone has any experience with this i'd love to hear about it before I dump a heap of coin into a lens which may not be of any use with my set up.

For reference i've included a couple of photos taken with just the TG6 in Aperture Macro mode. If I won't be able to get any better than this then I'll hold onto my money.

Thanks

Pete

Can anything get closer than microscope mode?

Thanks

I guess that's the problem, I'm right up against those tiny critters when i'm taking shots. Was just wondering if there was any way to increase the magnification as that's about as good as I can get at full zoom at present.

If there's no work around i'll just keep doing what I'm doing. I'm 100% happy with the camera and the shots i've been getting, however i've started finding ton's of tiny critters well under 10mm lately around Port Moresby and even in microscope mode they are very difficult to shoot.

Thanks for your opinions

Close up lenses work by allowing you to focus closer than the lens by itself, so if in microscope mode the min focus distance is 1cm or so then you don't get a benefit. What I think might be happening is that popping on wet lens allows the camera to focus super close without switching to microscope mode which probably has some advantages as the camera has some limitations in microscope mode.

You can check based on the data the guy in the link provided - he says for example he says fills the frame with a 32mm object bare camera, 20mm object with the first closeup lens and 17mm with the other lens. The min focus distance without a wet lens or microscope mode is 100mm this reduces to 35mm with the first lens according to the link - but you can get 10mm with microscope mode. So you could photograph a ruler to compare what sort of magnification you get in microscope mode at the distances mentioned and see if the guy in the link is getting any actual advantage out of the lenses. Remember you get more magnification in water, the link doesn't state if his tests were in or out of water.

Back
Top Bottom