TG-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am curious how many TG-5 users are going to buy the TG-6.
I’m still on the fence.

I am curious how many TG-5 users are going to buy the TG-6.
I’m still on the fence.
I ordered mine, just waiting on delivery
Loved the tg5 and Olympus housing

Traded my TG-5 for a TG-6 today at a local camera store; it came to about $250 out of pocket. I am planning to use my existing PT-085 housing. I haven't tested the fit yet, but it is supposed to be compatible. Not having to buy a new housing made the upgrade an easy decision. I will get a chance to take it out next week and check out the improvements.

No emails from Backscatter about delays in shipping unusual

Mine is supposed to arrive next Monday. My TG-5 has seen two years of very hard use, including a fall onto the highway from the back of my pickup—still works great. The lens window is a bit buggered up though. I'm looking forward to the ability to set minimum shutter speed in auto-ISO and I'm hoping (probably in vain) that the slight increase in focus speed reported by Imaging Resource will be meaningful or at least detectable.

Backscatter said cameras arriving in 2 weeks

I bought a TG5 this year and have been very happy with it. I am in no rush to buy a TG6 for a while. The additional features are mainly in menu enhancements that streamline your shooting and recording flow, and they would be nice to have, but not worth the additional $$ in my opinion. But the TG6 is compatible with the TG5 housing, so I imagine that eventually I’ll get a TG6 and keep the TG5 as a backup. I’ve generally found it helpful to have a redundant camera (and even a spare housing) on dive boats, for redundancy purposes, to allow my dive buddies to use my backup to shoot me, and so that I’m not swapping batteries and memory cards on a wet dive boat between dives. It’s one of the many advantages of compact cameras over SLRs, in my opinion (though SLRs have their obvious advantages too) — I don’t see many photographers with $15,000 rigs lugging around a spare camera and housing.

We have a very limited amount of cameras coming in today, they are about half pre-sold already. We have plenty of PT-059 housings in stock already! We also have a great 4th of July sale on underwater lights to complete your package!

See: Olympus TG-6 Cameras

TG-6_PT59-4.png

Attachments

• TG-6_PT59-4.png
    TG-6_PT59-4.png
    422 KB · Views: 244
Backscatter have a TG-6 review here: Olympus TG-6 Underwater Camera Review - Underwater Photography - Backscatter

They do seem to have a fundamental mis-understanding of the camera though, from imaging resource review: "the lens continues to only implement three aperture settings at any given focal length, one of which is achieved via an ND filter." so at the wide end you have f2, f2.8 and f8 and f/4.9, f/6.3, and f/18 at the tele end. This means that f8 and f18 are both achieved with an ND filter and will not increase depth of field as stated in the backscatter review. F8 and f18 only suck up light from your flash only giving a benefit is you are shooting in bright conditions and won't to exclude ambient light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom