TG-6 with PT-058?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeeParrish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know or has confirmed a TG-6 will work in a PT-058 housing? I have a new TG-6 but may have a line on a slightly used PT-058 so was hoping someone might know for sure if this will work before I go this route?

Does anyone know if there are any improvements with the PT-059 that would make it worth just getting the PT-059 over the PT-058?

Thanks.

Thanks! I had read that review a while back but completely forgot that they mentioned this.

I have the TG3...which I really like..I have played with the 5...but there are some really cool features of the 6. Let me know how you like it. I have a trip in Feb I'm looking to get it for.

I quite like my new TG-6. My only 'negative' at this point is there are only really 3 aperature openings in A (Aperature) mode. At start-up, you get F2, F2.8 and F8. If you play with zoom these numbers change, but it's still really just 3 setting.

That said, it sure didn't affect my shooting last Saturday (1st dive with TG-6 & PT-059). Vis was crap (2ft) but good enough for macro. I really like the camera and housing. I got very good shots using just the on-board flash (with built-in diffuser on the housing). All my shots were F8 (I like the black background) and A mode with minimum speed 1/125 and maximum ISO 800.

That's one thing I do like about the camera - you can control minimum speed in A mode and maximum ISO, so you get some benefits of a manual mode (which it doesn't have).

I love the small size of the housing - that's why I bought it in the first place. I have a G16 with Ikelite TTL rig and a Canon 7D with Nauticam rig, but they are in order, 'big' and 'humongous'. :) Even with a small tray the PT-059 is really compact, which is what I wanted.

I have the TG3...which I really like..I have played with the 5...but there are some really cool features of the 6. Let me know how you like it. I have a trip in Feb I'm looking to get it for.

Sure, I'd be happy to share what I find. I have a trip to the Galapagos this September though they only offer snorkeling on the boat we are on but I do plan to use the TG-6 for that, and a trip to Costa Rica in November where I hope to get some diving in. I was on a dive trip this summer in Roatan and one of the dive guides had a TG-3 and I was amazed at the shots he got, which is what got me looking at the TG series.

For the past year I've been using a Sony A6000 and while I like the Sony it's just is a bit larger than I want to carry when I do a dive trip. While I like to take photos and video while diving, I don't like to be that distracted by hauling a lot of gear. Having a camera that can do macro without an add-on lens or a dedicated macro lens, and can still do decent wide shots and fits in a small footprint is where I'm heading. I'm also considering the Backscatter M52 Wide Angle Air lens if as they say you can leave it on and still shoot macro. That would be the ideal system to me, small and compact, able to shoot macro and decent wide, and not something I'm spending half my dive playing with settings on and no choosing a lens and port before the dive. Realistically I don't expect to get the same quality as a larger camera, but what I found after moving from my original Canon G11 to an Olympus E-PM1, and then a Sony A6000 is that as the camera got larger I spent too much time on the camera and was missing out on the dive itself.

The downside of the minimum shutter speed option in fill mode is you need to be in auto ISO and you can only limit that to ISO400 max which will mean the camera will often be up at ISO400 rather than 100 if light is low. Note that f8 the third aperture is achieved with a ND filter so no DOF benefit, only reason to use it is to reduce ambient light in your shots , making up the light with an external strobe as you main light source. This becomes f18 when you go to maximum telephoto, which could strain a small flash , but the next aperture down is f6.3 from memory so may be enough. You can set higher min shutter speeds like 1/500 which could allow you to use f2.8 to improve flash recycle times.

The downside of the minimum shutter speed option in fill mode is you need to be in auto ISO and you can only limit that to ISO400 max which will mean the camera will often be up at ISO400 rather than 100 if light is low.

Good catch, never thought of that. Fortunately ISO 400 is not too bad on the TG-5/6.

Does anyone know or has confirmed a TG-6 will work in a PT-058 housing? I have a new TG-6 but may have a line on a slightly used PT-058 so was hoping someone might know for sure if this will work before I go this route?

Does anyone know if there are any improvements with the PT-059 that would make it worth just getting the PT-059 over the PT-058?

Thanks.

What was the verdict? Did you ever test this? The TG-6 is on sale for Black Friday and I'm considering getting it to replace my TG-5 and I own the PT-058, I'd rather not drop another $300 on a new housing. I did watch the Backscatter video and they said it was interchangeable.

I have a TG-6 and have been using it with my PT-058 housing without any issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom