TG-6: Switching between stills and video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexas

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering the TG-6 with the PT-59 housing but have a question for users. How easy/quick is it to switch between taking still photos and video? Is it a 1 button press thing, or multiple steps?

I'm very much a newbie/novice photographer and have found I enjoy shooting both stills (particularly macros) and videos, and have been using a less than satisfactory small Canon (for stills) and a Go Pro (for video), which together are cumbersome. I find I end up with an equal mix of both stills and video following most dives, and thinking the TG-6 gives me the best of both worlds in a compact form. Just want to make sure it's quick and easy to switch back and forth between photo and video.

I'm looking forward to the responses you get. I have the TG6 and take very few videos - I can't tell you how easy it is to switch because I seldom do it. What I DO know is that video eats up my battery, and that's why I do it so seldom. Maybe there will be some answers about that issue here as well (I'm sure it's addressed somewhere else on this humongous site but I'm too lazy to look or it's not really that important to me!) :wink:

I'm in the same boat as @Kimela . Pretty much every time I've hit the video button to take video, the screen flashes battery dead within a few seconds.

I use my TG6 for video and Photos. I leave the camera powered off when not doing so and generally do 3 dives a day on one battery.
If shooting lots of 4K video I may do two dives then change the battery.

Easy to change between taking a photo and a video as separate buttons which are easy to use. You will want to get some video lights as many times things you may want to video are in dark spaces, or you are on night dives.

TG6 HERO4 SETUP.jpg

I'm in the same boat as @Kimela . Pretty much every time I've hit the video button to take video, the screen flashes battery dead within a few seconds.
It has not been my experience. However, I only take short videos, sharks, rays, school of fish… I like TG-6 because of its macro abilities on still photos. I use video lights for both photography and videography so it makes it even easier to switch between both. I have extra batteries and change them after two dives (at lunch time and at the end of the day)

I have C1 set up for stills and C2 for video, so rotate 1 dial 1 click to swap between them.

To.preserve battery, turn off logging when your camera isn't in use, as it keeps logging even when off.

I have C1 set up for stills and C2 for video, so rotate 1 dial 1 click to swap between them.

To.preserve battery, turn off logging when your camera isn't in use, as it keeps logging even when off.
That last bit, about turning off logging, is very important. I removed the rubber foot inside my housing so it didn't accidentally get turned on.

Also, a friend said that she has the same issue as me when shooting video - the screen flashes "battery empty" - but then she turns her camera off and on again and it seems fine. I haven't tested that out. I'm too afraid of having no battery when I come up on that 'perfect shot' because I decided to shoot some video. I've only ever used video for those extraordinary things like an eagle ray passing by (for me, that's extraordinary).

I have my TG6 set to go into sleep mode if I don't use it after a couple of minutes. Battery can last quite well but I always put a fresh battery in before each dive, you never know what you'll come across.

The video function can be activated from still mode (after switching the camera back on) by one button without turning the dial.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom