TG-6 housing questions

Which brand housing For the TG-6

• Olympus

• Seafrog

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thomas Witt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello scuba board i recently have gotten a TG-6 camera and have been wondering what type of housing I should get. my options within my $300 budget are
Olympus pt58/59 - $300
SeaFrogs housing - $200
Ikelite - $300 which i have ruled off due to that there is not built in flash are.

Now as I'm getting into the sport of photography, I realized that it is a whole lot of money to have a good rig, so i am trying to pace myself out and upgrade slowly. I want to primarily start off with macro because the TG-6 has such great macro abilities, and because I can use the built in flash for it and wait so more to buy a good tray, arms, and strobes. I know that eventually i will want to invest in a light even for macro, but pictures with the built in flash can still come out looking great.

Now to my dilemma, Should i get the olympus housing or seafrog? The seafrog has a double O-ring, which i like, but the flash is not accessible through the white opaque flash cover. Are there possible replacements that would allow me to have a translucent one?
The olympus housing is well know, and many people make things specifically for that type of housing, will it be easier to eventually set up trays, lighting, and lens on the olympus housing?

I like the seafrog housing better at the end of the day, but i need to be bale to use the built in flash until i have the funds to buy some strobes. So if the olympus is the only housing that allows a flash then I'll get that one, but if I can change out the flash cover in the Seafrog I would rather have that.

Which one should i get, Olympus pt58/59, or the Seafrog TG-6.

also if olympus which housing, 58 or 59?

Thanks so much for reading this messy post about my housing crisis:)

You bring up good points for both. I think, and it's only MY opinion, the Olympus PT-059 (the one for the TG-6) is prettier than the SeaFrogs, but the SeaFrogs looks bulkier of the two. The SF mode switch is labeled backward but it is from China and a copy of the 058/059. There is a thread going about the 059 leaking after a while, but I've only seen a few posters if that many. I bought both, accidentally, but still have two. I haven't tried either one yet so I can't help your decision. Sorry.

Good luck.

Cheers - M²

I have the PT-59. After more than 50 dives, it started to fog and then to leak underwater. Olympus has a one-year warranty on the housing. I returned it to them and they "fixed" the problem...at least that's what they said. I've not taken it back in the water, yet.

Back in the olden days of the Oly c5050 we had a similar problem with the shutter control. It was possible to service by yourself if you were careful.

The good thing is if the housing leaks, the camera is water resistant.

I am using the Olympus PT-059 housing for my new TG-6 and am incredibly happy with it. I've dove with it maybe 25 times since October and am taking it to CCV this next month. The ease of use is excellent. It doesn't seem prone to leaking but, the camera is also water proof to about 50' of pressure, so I'm not that concerned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom