TG 6 Flooded with Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As all above. FUBAR I would suspect.

There are two locks on the USB door on the TG6, would be really unlucky for both to fail whilst snorkelling.

I would also suspect that it wasnt closed properly before entering the water I am afraid. They are very fiddly with fat fingers but even when using the housing, something I always double check.

Sorry for no positive news :-(

There are many videos on restoration of old motherboards where the whole thing is dunked in freshwater and scrubbed clean. After final rinse with clean freshwater, the board is let dry completely. As long as there are no impurities left to short something, the board will work perfectly.

Actually I have just bought it😢
That really stinks, I'll ask again, did you buy it with a credit card? Many of them include purchase protection, usually 90 day replacement for loss, damage, or theft.

I haven't looked at how to disassemble them, but if you can open it up and clean with alcohol there's always a chance. As others have posted, need to get all the salt out though. I'd get a few q tips and a small brush and go to town cleaning every area I could on the inside. Dose it with alcohol and then clean it again. Still not a guarantee, but worth a shot.

Here's a video of the TG-4, there might be one of the 6 out there;

Edit: I would not try turning it on until you've done that^^^
Many thanks

Unfortunately I think it's toast - if it was powered on when it leaked then it has likely destroyed components. Repair is not an option - repair shops will not touch a camera with water damage as even if they get it working they know from experience it will be back withing the repair warranty period and dead again. It's now Oct 16 and you posted on Oct 5 - the corrosion from the salt has been happening since the flood - the longer you leave the less likely it is for a miracle to occur.

If you replace it get a housing. If you look in the manual you will see they recommend getting the seals serviced annually. There is a membrane seal under the buttons that eventually holes through, so it's not if but when it will fail and when it does you are back in the same position.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom