TG-5 with accessories packages on Amazon too good to be true?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougieG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone. Thanks for all of your help. I have decided to go ahead an purchase the TG-5! Now where to buy it from?

It appears the price has recently dropped to $400 (without underwater housing), for example, at BestBuy.com.

However, Amazon.com offers the TG-5 "with accessories" such as memory cards, floating wrist strap, replacement batteries, travel charger, etc., also for $400.

Seems like the Amazon deal is too good to be true.

Any thoughts on the best online place to purchase the camera? Thanks again,

DougieG

I'd say this is a better deal, and it is from Olympus via Amazon, not some third party.

upload_2018-12-22_17-42-45.png

It is a refurbished unit, hence the price.
It is $110 off, and is refurbished and certified by Olympus. No problem.

It is a refurbished unit, hence the price.
Refurbished are a great deal! A new TG5 comes out of the factory & the consumer gets the camera that they get. With a refurbished ones, however, the camera is not allowed to be released for sale until it has been tested and meets (or exceeds) the factory spec. If it does not meet factory spec, it will be serviced and released only after the testing confirms it meets spec. This means that each and every refurbished TG5 will be at least as good as a new one, and it could possibly be better.

Personally, I have bought many refurbished items from DSLRs to my latest MacBook and I have never had a problem.

When I was looking, Olympus America (direct from Olympus) had the best deal $389 for the camera, a camera bag and a 16gb SD card. The camera is not currently on sale but the sales change monthly. I have seen it as low as $379 for the camera there. I agree with Hoag that refurbished camera gear is no problem. Every piece of refurbished gear goes though complete quality checks. New gear is only sampled for quality.

The extras may be of low quality, which means you'll be getting stuff you either don't use or throwing away.

I am also looking into purchasing the TG-5 . While I am an Amazon junkie, I think a product like this is better purchased at a brick and mortar store. In case you have any questions or trouble shooting needs, it will be easier to talk to an employee. Originally, I was going to order mine from Backscatter. Yesterday I popped into a local camera store and found they have the TG-5 on sale for $379. The housing is a special order item(about 4 weeks), so I will be ordering mine from Backscatter.

Backscatter will match internet prices and they are great to deal with. I bought my tg-4 and housing through them and have sent others to them as well. Great prices, very customer oriented and will give you ongoing support and help with any questions

Back
Top Bottom