TG-5 vs. G7X Mark II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMartin216

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been diving for decades but just took up u/w photography a few years back. Two years ago I was in the market for a new uw camera and was overly swayed by the Nikon Coolpix's rating to 100' with no housing. I saved money by not buying a housing but I was very unhappy with image quality. Topside, I always reach for my phone ahead of my camera and want something that I will use for my entire vacation. On a 10-day trip we may dive 3-4 days.

I will most likely be a starting with a camera and housing and add strobes and other accessories like a wide angle lens later. I have my search narrowed down to the Olympus TG-5 and the Canon G7X Mark II. In comparing the two, it appears the G7X offers better overall image quality due to its much larger sensor, and I may be happier with that camera topside. And as a previous Canon owner I find their menus/setup to be very intuitive. The G7X is a bit pricier. On the other hand, the TG-5's rugged/amphibious body could come in handy when climbing a Mayan ruin or jumping into a cenote. We have lost two cameras thus far due to accidental introduction to water so this might be a good idea. I just don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for a rig that will be used 5-6 hours of a 10-day trip.

Is my assessment on track? Is it a decision between more expensive but better image quality (G7X) vs. less expensive and tougher but lesser image quality (TG-5)? Are there other factors I should consider?

TG-5 produces great macro and can be bashed around a bit. Smaller 1/2.3" sensor though.

Canon G7X II has a larger 1" sensor and versatile fast lens 24-100mm f1.8 - 2.8 plus menus that are much easier to use meaning more capability for great surface photography. I've personally made 18 X 24 prints that look great from mine.

I've carried the G7X II in a Fantasea housing anywhere I worry it might get soaked. While bulkier than the TG-5 camera alone it isn't super heavy. Molded lugs on the housing accommodate any shoulder or wrist strap. I have several of the older yellow Canon neck straps from cheaper Canon clear housings.

If cost and worried you're rough on a camera is prime deciding factor go for the Olympus.

If image quality and spending a bit more is possible the Canon G7X II and a Fantasea housing will be a better investment.

IMG_1874.jpeg

IMG_1995.jpg

WhaleShark 1 DGT 0418 FB.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom