Tg-5 rig set up.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blazey07

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just received my TG-5 camera , housing with the universal tray, ys-03 strobe, video light, Bluewater macro and wide angle dome.
What are some start off recommended settings on the camera for the macro and WA lens to get me started?

I am on the fence about purchasing this camera so I will be interested in your results and sorry I don't have any recommendations. You don't need a red filter for this camera right? I am trying to choose between point and shoot olympus or coolpix w300 and the go pro 5 or paralenz though paralenz price is unattractive and not sure I can get it in a week.

What were the selling points on tg-5 for you?

To me it was the next step up from the GoPro and this unit will just be a economical way to learn more about photography. I took two photography (brutal) courses in college in the early 90's and seem to have the "eye" for a framed picture, so basically I am just learning on this new platform. But trying to learn basic camera settings for the new wet lenses and evolve from there. Heading to Bonaire on the 15th of July and it is pretty much a crash course for me.

What specific lens (macro and wide-angle) did you get?

I haven't used a macro lens with my tg-4, but the macro mode works very well when shooting small subjects. It works well with my UWL-04 for CFWA, but aperture priority with closed down aperture works well too.

Can't wait to see your results!

Bluewater +7 macro lens 67mm
UWL-04 fisheye lens.
When I use the +7 macro lens camera or I can't get it to focus.

With the macro lens attached it can't focus? What mode is set on the the camera when you are using the lens?

Have you given bluewater a call, they might be able to help you out with settings?

We have a TG-4 (similar enough to TG-5), and use the following settings:

Macro:
  1. Auto-WB -- you're using a strobe, so no need to use the underwater white balance
  2. Shoot in Raw + JPEG. If your strobe is too close/too far, the RAW will give you more latitude to fix the shot
  3. Flash forced on, because you are using the strobe
  4. Underwater mode + microscope mode for macro. Wow can this camera focus close
  5. Strobe set to TTL (actually I think YS-03 doesn't have any other option -- I forget because we have a YS-01 and YS-03)
  6. Center focus if your shooting macro

We have not used the diopter with the TG-4. I see no need with the microscope mode. We also have a Oly OMD-M1 and that camera DOES need the diopter to equal the shots taken with the TG-4. I also recall that I limited the min shutter and max ISO, but don't remember what settings specifically.

Wide:
  1. Auto-WB or UW-1 WB, depending on if you use the Strobe or not
  2. Shoot raw + JPEG
  3. Flash on/off, depending on whether you're close-focus/wide angle, or just wide angle. Personally I've found wide angle with no flash/strobe at depth results in crummy pictures. Focus isn't great, color range isn't great. Basically a good 'tourist' shot, but nothing worth printing
  4. Center focus or at least adjust your focus/metering to the main subject
We don't have a wide wet lens for the TG-4 so can't comment on that.

Good luck. As you've probably read elsewhere, this is a very capable rig, and a joy for macro like nudibranchs. The microscope mode really shortens your working distance, but it is great for slow moving small things. The focus light is a good idea to speed up the focus.

We have a TG-4 (similar enough to TG-5), and use the following settings:

Macro:
  1. Auto-WB -- you're using a strobe, so no need to use the underwater white balance
  2. Shoot in Raw + JPEG. If your strobe is too close/too far, the RAW will give you more latitude to fix the shot
  3. Flash forced on, because you are using the strobe
  4. Underwater mode + microscope mode for macro. Wow can this camera focus close
  5. Strobe set to TTL (actually I think YS-03 doesn't have any other option -- I forget because we have a YS-01 and YS-03)
  6. Center focus if your shooting macro

We have not used the diopter with the TG-4. I see no need with the microscope mode. We also have a Oly OMD-M1 and that camera DOES need the diopter to equal the shots taken with the TG-4. I also recall that I limited the min shutter and max ISO, but don't remember what settings specifically.

Wide:
  1. Auto-WB or UW-1 WB, depending on if you use the Strobe or not
  2. Shoot raw + JPEG
  3. Flash on/off, depending on whether you're close-focus/wide angle, or just wide angle. Personally I've found wide angle with no flash/strobe at depth results in crummy pictures. Focus isn't great, color range isn't great. Basically a good 'tourist' shot, but nothing worth printing
  4. Center focus or at least adjust your focus/metering to the main subject
We don't have a wide wet lens for the TG-4 so can't comment on that.

Good luck. As you've probably read elsewhere, this is a very capable rig, and a joy for macro like nudibranchs. The microscope mode really shortens your working distance, but it is great for slow moving small things. The focus light is a good idea to speed up the focus.
That's the info I was looking for! I know it is basic set up but just wanted to be in the same ballpark. I really appreciate the help and will get back to y'all on the results.

Here are a few pictures from rescent trip to Bonaire. I definitely got better throughout the week. But these pictures are not the good ones, just what I have on my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_1886.JPG
    IMG_1886.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_1838.JPG
    IMG_1838.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_1834.JPG
    IMG_1834.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 319
I just got a TG-5 as well with the new housing. This is an long overdue upgrade from an Olympus C4040 in the Ikelite housing. No strobe yet so will just be using internal flash.

I am also interested in some basic setting recommendations beyond underwater mode or any tweaks to underwater mode that anyone has come up with from using the TG-4? I know on the C4040 one of the recommendations was to decrease the brightness of the internal flash.

The other feature that looks to require some experimentation is Focus Peaking.

Any advice will be appreciated. The first use may end up being drift diving off Jupiter. Lots of sharks and Goliaths...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom