TG-5 Glass Screen Protector

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CGE925

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently picked up a used but pristine TG-5 for use as a snorkelling only camera. I won't bother with a housing or lights, just the basic camera. I have installed a glass screen protector which seems to fit well and adhere properly through electrostatic tension.

I've read comments, and they make sense to me, that the "adherence" of the glass screen protector would be compromised by being submerged and that the screen protector could possibly come off. A work around seems to be buying the Olympus silicone case for $40+ but that would just add to the bulk and not stop the protector from popping off, it would presumably only just contain it as it comes loose.

Thoughts, comments, experiences? Would this be an issue? She's getting her first real workouts in a few weeks in Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao, and I'd hate to leave the pristine new screen unprotected

Thanks in advance.

I have a similar screen protector on my dive computer that was purpose made and no failure of the adhesive so far after about 30 dives and lots of snorkeling. For my TG-5 I cut out some clear adhesive liner, e.g. Con-Tact brand. Even if this line comes off later it's really cheap and easy to replace. You can buy a whole roll for less than $10, cut out multiple pieces and bring them with you. Make sure you round off the corners to prevent peeling. As for visibility, I've used my TG-5 in the housing but had no problems seeing the screen through the housing and clear liner.

I have a similar screen protector on my dive computer that was purpose made and no failure of the adhesive so far after about 30 dives and lots of snorkeling. For my TG-5 I cut out some clear adhesive liner, e.g. Con-Tact brand. Even if this line comes off later it's really cheap and easy to replace. You can buy a whole roll for less than $10, cut out multiple pieces and bring them with you. Make sure you round off the corners to prevent peeling. As for visibility, I've used my TG-5 in the housing but had no problems seeing the screen through the housing and clear liner.

The main worry I have is that this screen protector is not stuck on by an adhesive, it stays put, like most screen protectors on phones, by "static cling" and I suspect that will give out when it gets wet. I could use a generic screen protector and just cut to fit the TG-5's screen, and just keep replacing them when they fall off, and I may have to consider bringing some along on our trip.

The main worry I have is that this screen protector is not stuck on by an adhesive, it stays put, like most screen protectors on phones, by "static cling" and I suspect that will give out when it gets wet. I could use a generic screen protector and just cut to fit the TG-5's screen, and just keep replacing them when they fall off, and I may have to consider bringing some along on our trip.

Sounds like a good idea to get some Con-Tact liner or extra protectors. If your original screen protector comes off in the water I would say it's a poor design for a waterproof camera!

Sounds like a good idea to get some Con-Tact liner or extra protectors. If your original screen protector comes off in the water I would say it's a poor design for a waterproof camera!

The TG-5, of course, doesn't come with a screen protector beyond the sacrificial plastic film applied at the factory. That film is poor quality on my camera and peels off easily even wen dry. My problem is that there does not seem to be an aftermarket screen protector made for these waterproof P&S cameras that is specifically made to stay put when wet, so it's not a poor design when they were not made for that purpose in the first place.

Your comment does make me think I should have also asked whether anyone is familiar with a screen protector specific to the TG series that is known to be waterproof

I have a 'film' protector on my TG-4 that is used in the cold for snow sports, and UW for snorkeling as well as in the housing for diving. No peeling or other issues. It has one mark on it that would have scratched the screen for sure, so it did its job. I thought about replacing the film, but it's not quite bad enough yet!

I ended up going with a glass screen protector for the TG-5. Stays in place through static/surface tension and seems to do the job very well. It made it through a snorkelling trip in Curacao a few weeks ago, down to 10 or 15 feet and stayed firmly in place no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom