Texas Summer Dry Suit Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a neoprene drysuit, from Bare (CD4), and I just dive with a pair of shorts and a t-shirt most of the time. If it really gets cold? Like 50 degrees and below, I have a pair of long polypropolene underwear that i wear. Polypropolene was recommended to me by my ice diving instructor, as it keeps you warm, wicks away the condensation, and is still thin enough to not add bulk under my drysuit. I also have a pair of thick wool socks on my feet.
I also three different hoods depending on the cold. 2 dry hoods, and one thermoprene ice hood.
I guess I am having a little bit of a hard time answering your question about summer diving in Texas and Oklahoma because I can hit temps 50 degrees or so at depth in most of the lakes around here even in the summer.

Last edited:
summer time shallow I'll wear T-shirt and shorts

deep I'll wear the dive rite 200 grain I think it is and supliment it with a poly shirt and of course a hood, then I swear at the heat the entire time until I pass the first thermocline.

I have always been fine with a 3 mil at 130 feet and sometimes just swim trunks and a t-shirt for the same depth in the summer time. So I was just wondering what other people wore during the summer months when diving dry.

Last weekend in Broken Bow Ok. just 5 hours northeast of DFW we had 48f at 123ffw.....so not all summer diving in this general area is warm water... :eyebrow: I dove a full 7mil with all the goodies and was fine for the profile we were running.....just did not feel like messing with my dry suit.

My drysuit stays in the closet during the summer. But, if I were to take it out for a dive this time of the year, I would have to wear a moisture wicking long sleeve shirt and a polyester pants.

Depends on the temps at depth. For the most part, I either wear some thin polypro long underwear or something like the under armor heat gear.

Doesn't the suit pinch your legs?

quote:
I have a neoprene drysuit, from Bare (CD4), and I just dive with a pair of shorts and a t-shirt most of the time. If it really gets cold? Like 50 degrees and below, I have a pair of long polypropolene underwear that i wear. Polypropolene was recommended to me by my ice diving instructor, as it keeps you warm, wicks away the condensation, and is still thin enough to not add bulk under my drysuit. I also have a pair of thick wool socks on my feet.
I also three different hoods depending on the cold. 2 dry hoods, and one thermoprene ice hood.
I guess I am having a little bit of a hard time answering your question about summer diving in Texas and Oklahoma because I can hit temps 50 degrees or so at depth in most of the lakes around here even in the summer.

Debraw

Nope, not at all. Why would you think it would pinch my legs?

Last weekend in Broken Bow Ok. just 5 hours northeast of DFW we had 48f at 123ffw.....so not all summer diving in this general area is warm water... :eyebrow: I dove a full 7mil with all the goodies and was fine for the profile we were running.....just did not feel like messing with my dry suit.

What !?! ? You dived BB last weekend and you didn't post a report ??

Seriously, same dive profile mostly, I wore a 5mm neoprene wetsuit with a hood and gloves and I was fine for the dive.

As far as dry suit diving, I have been known to show up in whatever street clothes I happen to be wearing that day and off I go; as long as I know the water is going to be somewhat summertime warm. If the water is going to be cold ( < 65 F), I like wearing polypro undergarments or just the standard BARE undergarment specifically sold by BARE for my BARE drysuit. Sorry. I don't really know what the undergarment is made of. It reminds of a cross between thermal underwear / grandma's quilt / and work cover-alls.

My advice: Make an educated guess at what you think you need and then make one dive. You'll figure out your adjustments quick enough. Plus, you'll have a fun learning experience along the way. :14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom