Texas boy dies of dry drowning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Birddog1911

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A Texas boy died of "dry drowning" nearly a week after he went swimming on a family trip, his family said.

Frankie, 4, was on a family trip during Memorial Day weekend when he went swimming in the Texas City Dike, his father, Francisco Delgado Jr., told KTRK-TV.

Texas boy dies of 'dry drowning' after swimming trip, family says

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

While we know the forum is about scuba accidents, we think that this non-diving discussion is relevant to all water sporters, including scuba divers and therefore made a decision to leave it

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a very sad story, but some corrections are in order.

"Dry drowning" is when there is little or no water found in the lungs of a deceased drowning victim. The actual existence of it is debated.

Delayed or secondary drowning is when the victim seems to recover, but then gets sick and dies days after a near-drowning incident. These victims develop post-immersion syndrome, from the inflammatory changes induced by the aspirated water, microbes, etc. This is why near-drowning victims need to be followed closely.

The story did not reference a near-drowning incident. It is possible this sad case had nothing to do with swimming or near-drowning, but was due another cause, like an infectious disease/pneumonia. I can't tell from the story.

Delayed or secondary drowning is when the victim seems to recover, but then gets sick and dies days after a near-drowning incident.
Yeah, Delayed or secondary drowning seems to be very different from Dry drowning. I had a laryngospasm once in the shallow end of a pool that I thought was going to kill me - embarrassing.

Delayed or secondary drowning can happen to anyone, right - but more of a risk to toddlers?

Tried to google but internet seems not in agreement what dry drowning is. Similarly, I think this article refers to a more descriptive term of "secondary drowning", where gradual oxygen loss is the cause.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom