Tethered Diving from an inflatable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skating101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I are about to buy a sailboat and we are planning to dive from a tender.

We are fairly experienced divers (over 1000 dives between us).

We are really worried about a shift in currents on a dive resulting in us struggling to return to our boat. What options are there for tethered diving from a tender?

@Wookie, are you able to offer anything to the OP on this?

I’ve dived solo from sailing boats and inflatables, First I anchor the boat and pull it in. Then set a diver down flag or buoy. I go down the anchor line check the anchor and attach my reel. When I’m happy all is secure I head off on my dive. If conditions are very benign and I’m shallow I won’t use the reel.

When I had a yacht with my ex, we used to dive from our tender. If there was only the two of us on the yacht, we went to a nearby yacht and asked them to watch our yacht and also told them where we were diving. We said that if we were not back in xx minutes, could they come and look for us. Every time they agreed to do this.

As to the actual diving, we had a very heavy anchor and chain (for the size of the tender) and made sure the anchor was locked into the coral bottom. If there was any sort of a current, we went into it. If the current was too strong, we aborted the dive. Never had a problem. You could also attach a reel to the anchor and if it comes free or you have current, you can use to get back to anchor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom