Testing your drysuit dump valve at home for leaks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nicool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi guys,

I am looking for a way to test my shoulder dump valve for leaks at home (as opposed to getting discomfort during so many more dives…).
It’s leaking for sure, but not always (depends how open and how squeezed I am in the suit).
I like a lot what this guy did – his video shows how he mounts his dump valve onto some sort of container, and then he reproduces the exact dive conditions: water is above the valve, and we want to see if anything comes through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nunGavtCyI

Does anyone know what sort of container he’s using?
Is this all DIY, or can I buy some purpose made container to test my (Apeks) dump valve at home?

As a final comment, I know many divers (whatever the valve brand/model) have come to accept their dump valve will leak wide open, and took a habit to “take it easy” on the dump valve and close it by a few clicks.
I have had a leak-free Apeks Low profile dump valve for 6 years, diving wide open and squeezed on the descent of every single dive, so I know it is possible (there’s hope guys!), and that’s what I am aiming for (besides, I’ve fixed every other leak on my drysuit, so I am only that close to a perfectly dry experience… can’t wait :D)

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and ideas
Cheers

Nicolas

Looks like he just cut a hole in the bottom of a cylinder and installed the dump valve on the hole instead of the drysuit.

As long as whatever you use is flat enough to make a seal, should be easy to DIY.

It will show obvious leaks but won’t apply much pressure to the seal though.

Looks like he just cut a hole in the bottom of a cylinder and installed the dump valve on the hole instead of the drysuit.

As long as whatever you use is flat enough to make a seal, should be easy to DIY.

Sometimes the dump valve leaks at the seal to the suit. You need it installed to find that.

@all, it doesn’t leak when valve is closed, i need to ascertain the weakness when partly open.

Yeah... i am not too good at diy, especially this case looks like curring a circular hole in plastic, tricky!

Back
Top Bottom