testing out housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba2sue

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am just getting into underwater photography. Have a new (old) Oly housing. Tried it out in the pool and no leaks, should I try taking it down to depth before putting my camera in it?

I just purchased a used housing and tested it as if it were brand new....If I were you I would

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to main UW photography forum

If this were a new housing I'd say "Nope, don't bother." As it's a used housing I personally still wouldn't waste a dive taking the housing down only, but you might feel more comfortable doing so.

You've tested it in the pool, you've carefully inspected every mm of the thing visually - I'd be happy with that :)

But I live on the edge with these things and it seems most people do the dry run first. I never have and likely never will with new gear.

The only time I've ever taken a housing without camera to depth was when I had what I thought was a small leak on a dive. Back on the boat I took everything apart, visually inspected the housing inside and out, did a rinse tank dunk test, then put some wrapped weights inside, tied it to a rope and lowered it overboard to our dive depth. Left it there during the surface interval and pulled it back up. Stuck the camera in and away I went for dive two with no problems.

Now, there could have been a leak through a button when pressed that I wasn't able to test by just dumping the thing overboard, but it was a risk I was willing to take.

Just be aware that taking your housing down empty does not mean that a flood will not happen. It just means that no flood happened on that dive. Floods are almost always user error of some description so the more times you do it, the closer you are to yours :wink:

Thanks for the input, never would have thought of sending it down on its own :)

I would take a dive to sea trial the housing. Afterall, one dive vs. the cost of the camera. Prep the housing properly. Then go to depth. Press all the buttons a few times. Also check to see that the housing isn't warped. Then, enjoy the rest of your dive. During your surface interval, inspect the housing. If all is well, put your camera in and enjoy.

If you're not sure, then absolutely do so.

I would weight the housing appropriately with a couple of pounds of weight and put in some T.P. around inside. Take it down to various depths and check all the controls repeatedly during the dive. Some control leaks don't happen immediately.

Sending it down on it own doesn't really find everything out.

Back
Top Bottom