Testing my housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys.

So the housing for my camera is not coming now till tomorrow due to a delay with the flight.

My original thoughts where to get it today and get it out to BBP and get the housing down to 95 feet to test for leaks, I have been told that this is not needed that if the housing is going to leak or start to leak it would be in shallow water, Why its suggested to leave it soak in a bath tub for a while. I have been told that at depth with the compression it seals the unit even better so the chances of a leak are slimmer unless there is hard debris in the seal.

Can anyone confirm this? I am afraid i might not be able to get into the lake other than tonight before i leave for our trip.

Ask your wife-to-be what they're used for Mike!

Think about it dude! :D

Well mine help with buoyancy because I use the kind with 'wings'.......lol.

You make hard questions...

Is the you know what considered a leak? or even more is there any moisture down there? Is it better to plug or patch?

These questions can only be answer by asking around....does not need to be known person....experimentation perhaps?

Michael_Lambert:
aww ****,

Yea yea. is that for the small leak, Or does it help with the humidity.

I generally take my housing down to 60' or so with a couple pieces of lightly crumpled kleenex in the housing, and shake it like a british nanny at depth. Dry the exterior when you get out, and look carefully for any wet spots on the tissue. Has worked so far...

moved from marketplace to main UW photography forum

I'm in the other camp. I don't take my housing down for a "test run". I simply do my checks, install the camera and do my checks and go dive. Works so far.

Be careful when putting kleenex or toilet paper or similar in the housing. These products all have fibres and it only takes one errant fibre on an oring to do you in. I would use a sponge type material instead. Same for cleaning the grooves - never tissue or q-tips! Always a sponge tipped applicator such as used for eye makeup (dirt cheap and easy to find, too) - your clean finger can work, too.

Testing a housing will only find a manufacturer's defect really. And they are rare, though can exist, of course. The more times you open and close the housing the closer you are to your first flood - remember, it's a matter of "when". If you take it down and it floods, and you can't see any defect, it's clearly user error - what would stop you making a similar error with the camera in the housing?

Personally the only time I've done a test run is when I had droplets of water in the housing on the first dive and wanted to see what was what before the second dive. Turned out to be user error (big surprise) - I fixed it and happily took the camera on dive two.

Get a solid routine of checks going and that should be your best bet in reducing your flood risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom