Tested and loved the C7070

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wolverine

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I just got back from Puerto Galera with the C7070 and have the following pics to show for it:

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/1047

All in all, the camera performed as stated; excellent focus in macro when not pushed to full zoom, excellent detail and color, minimum shutter lag, excellent focussing speed. When pushed to full zoom, the camera struggled to focus due to the small depth of field, ie camera focuses when it is REALLY FOCUSED. Pull the zoom back a notch and everything comes together. Low light is not really an issue either. It appears to be a DOF problem rather than a low-light problem.

It definitely outperforms my old CP4300 by a huge margin and would definitely recommend this camera for underwater (unless u really want to shoot Supermacro under water, then I recommend you go elsewhere, or until they decide to let the on-camera flash to fire in that mode).

Thanks for the post Tim – and fantastic photos! Nice macro photos - especially considering previous posts – did you need a focus light for the close ups or did it work fine using a greater DOF/higher speed?

I’ve been considering the camera for a while and been waiting for a review by someone who actually has one (rather than rumours and second hand accounts from other boards).

A stupid newbie question for you: if I get the PT or Ike housing will there be serious vignetting at the widest angles – and if so at what focal lengths does the lens housing start getting in the way? .

Cheers,
Rohan.

Yes, there will be vignetting at the widest for both macro and wide angle, but one notch zoom will remove it (prob 35mm). The wide angle shots you see are all using Inon wide-angle add-on lens.

For most of the shots, I did not need the focus light except in the most extreme of circumstance (ie ambient light blocked by something).

Great shots Wolverine. Were in Puerto Gallera, Philippines?

I'm heading to the Philippines myself in a week, and I'll probably go either to Puerto Galera, or Boracay, or maybe some other place, but I'd like to know some details from your Puerto Gallera experience. Which dive shop did you use? Would you use it again? Any specifics sites you'd recommend? ...

*Floater*:
Great shots Wolverine. Were in Puerto Gallera, Philippines?

I'm heading to the Philippines myself in a week, and I'll probably go either to Puerto Galera, or Boracay, or maybe some other place, but I'd like to know some details from your Puerto Gallera experience. Which dive shop did you use? Would you use it again? Any specifics sites you'd recommend? ...

I used Mabuhay Dive resort and have been going with them for 3times already. The service is excellent and the owners are friendly and knowledgeable. The rooms are clean and there is hot running water. It is also located a short way aways from Sabang Beach (3-4mins walk) so u get the convenience but not the noise.

http://www.mabuhay-dive-resort.com

As for dive sites, for macro subjects, Sinadigan Wall, Sabang Bay and Sabang Wrecks are the best. For more adrenalin dives, Canyons and Shark Cave are a must.
The critters there are seasonal; when water is warmer, you get seahorses, nudis (mating season now) and some frogfish. When its colder, you find different varieties of ghostpipefish, different species of nudis and the smaller frogfish. Its a good time to go now for octopus, giant frogfish, and there are a couple of sites with pygmy seahorses (Sinadigan and prob Dungon wall).

Thanks for the feedback - I'll keep it in mind. I've been there a few times myself, and I remember seeing Mabuhay Dive resort, though I personally went with Scandinavian Divers because they were cheap and also because as a Finn I felt some kinship for the Scandinavians (Finns are generally considered to be Scandinavians, though technically we are not).

After seeing your pictures, I was forced to do some research on this camera, and now I am afraid that I am going to have to buy one. Thanks alot!!! If you don't mind my asking, where did you order the camera/housing from? Do you have the external flash with the UW housing? One last question, what housing did you get? I have seen two for it. The one that Olympus makes and one that Ikelite makes.

Jon_Rhea:
After seeing your pictures, I was forced to do some research on this camera, and now I am afraid that I am going to have to buy one. Thanks alot!!! If you don't mind my asking, where did you order the camera/housing from? Do you have the external flash with the UW housing? One last question, what housing did you get? I have seen two for it. The one that Olympus makes and one that Ikelite makes.

Camera I bought in HK (cheaper than the net). I use the Ikelite housing (which looks and feels a lot sturdier than the Oly P-027). I ordered from an agent here in Hong Kong, which works out to be cheaper than ordering from elsewhere (shipping costs included of cse). As for the strobe, I have been using the Inon D-180 (now extinct and evolved into the D-2000) for the last 2 years.

I am not sure where to order in the US but I think if you give a quick shout, there will be a lot of respondents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom