Test: strapless mask dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Tried something. Had 1000psi, a mud patch and a box of a dozen masks.

Confirming proper fit and equalization abilities of a mask by doing 10 minutes strapless with saw tooth profiles in the shallows. Ascent were most tricky, nasal inhaling the right amount. Possible and comfortable with a few masks, horrible water boarding feeling with others. Surprising how different masks fit. I think I forget how significant mask fit can be.

Anyone expect this level of fit from their mask? Worth practicing as a skill for broken straps? *I carry a backup mask often but it's unnecessary equipment for many dives.

Regards,
Cameron

Last edited:
I carry a length of bungee in my wetnotes, long enough to rig a fin strap or a mask strap in a pinch. I carry a backup mask for everything other than recreational diving, and have gone to it before. Only long enough to tie a bungee strap on my real mask since it's much more comfortable. Takes all of 3 minutes and I'm back to the mask I actually enjoy diving with.

Any reason, in a test like that, you wouldn't allow yourself to just push on the mask with your fingers, to burp it on ascent?

Regardless, cool test. :thumb:

Any reason, in a test like that, you wouldn't allow yourself to just push on the mask with your fingers, to burp it on ascent?

Regardless, cool test. :thumb:

...Just juggling an arm full of masks and a dslr. No test related reason besides for making it a little more challenging for fun. Confession: I play underwater.

It was fairly useful for quickly telling which masks fit with more precision compared to the "normal" ways. I'm not suggesting it's useful and needs done. Just wondering if it's been helpful for other people already.

Cameron

...Just juggling an arm full of masks and a dslr. No test related reason besides for making it a little more challenging for fun. Confession: I play underwater.

It was fairly useful for quickly telling which masks fit with more precision compared to the "normal" ways. I'm not suggesting it's useful and needs done. Just wondering if it's been helpful for other people already.

Cameron

It does sound fun.

It also reminds me of a mask fitment detail I learned the expensive way. When I bought my first mask, I tried on a BUNCH of masks at the shop. I did all the recommended tests to confirm fit. Put it on with no strap and verify it would stay on my face, etc.. It fit "perfectly" in the shop ... and turned out to constantly slowly leak in the water. What I eventually figured out is that having a reg in my mouth results in a small change to my face shape. I get a little deeper "smile lines" with a mouthpiece in, that resulted in a slow leak. So, now, similar to what you did, I would put a reg mouthpiece in my mouth any time I try on masks.

Just carry a backup mask in a pocket. When it's this easy to carry a spare, backup is the only way to go in my opinion. If you don't already have a pocket available somewhere, glue one onto your wetsuit or just use the diverite clip-on pocket. A pocket also makes a dandy place to store other important items such as snorkel, mirror, whistle, dsmb, glock, etc...

Just carry a backup mask in a pocket. When it's this easy to carry a spare, backup is the only way to go in my opinion. If you don't already have a pocket available somewhere, glue one onto your wetsuit or just use the diverite clip-on pocket. A pocket also makes a dandy place to store other important items such as snorkel, mirror, whistle, dsmb, glock, etc...

Make sure you have your Underwater Carry specialty permit...!

Make sure you have your Underwater Carry specialty permit...!
They already made the training video.

I had a divemaster in Belize once that did every dive with no strap on his mask and no straps on his fins. We figured he was just showing off. He never seemed to have any issues with it but then he didn't have to deal with any emergencies either.

Tip: hardhat diving makes masks straps child's play. Lol

I have thought about doing this before, cool test.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom