Terrible Assault on a Tourist in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
First let me say that I have never visited or dived in the Dominican Republic, but this report caught my attention because my sister recently vacationed at an all-inclusive in Punta Cana and she had a very good trip.

Secondly, let me say that I totally recognize that crime can happen anywhere in the world and that you always have to be alert and cautious; I live near Chicago so this is not news to me.

But I find this report especially disturbing, not only because of the terrible violence of the attack, but because it occurred on the resort property and the assailant was wearing a hotel uniform. I think that most people tend to feel safer when they are staying at a luxury resort that is gated and protected by security guards.

It is also disturbing that the family claims that the hotel management were not responsive to requests for help in searching for the victim, and that the resort has denied all responsibility and refused assistance. They wouldn't even refund the cost of the vacation after this horrific experience.

See the links below, it happened at the Majestic Elegance resort in Punta Cana, DR - and they do offer scuba diving and watersports.

Warning! The pictures are graphic and very disturbing!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/05/31/he-is-still-out-there-delaware-mother-details-brutal-attack-dominican-republic-resort/

http://majesticscuba.com/scubadiving/

First let me say that I have never visited or dived in the Dominican Republic, but this report caught my attention because my sister recently vacationed at an all-inclusive in Punta Cana and she had a very good trip.

Secondly, let me say that I totally recognize that crime can happen anywhere in the world and that you always have to be alert and cautious; I live near Chicago so this is not news to me.

But I find this report especially disturbing, not only because of the terrible violence of the attack, but because it occurred on the resort property and the assailant was wearing a hotel uniform. I think that most people tend to feel safer when they are staying at a luxury resort that is gated and protected by security guards.

It is also disturbing that the family claims that the hotel management were not responsive to requests for help in searching for the victim, and that the resort has denied all responsibility and refused assistance. They wouldn't even refund the cost of the vacation after this horrific experience.

See the links below, it happened at the Majestic Elegance resort in Punta Cana, DR - and they do offer scuba diving and watersports.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/05/31/he-is-still-out-there-delaware-mother-details-brutal-attack-dominican-republic-resort/

Can't open the Washington Post article

Brutal doesn't even come close.

I can't imagine going through this.

I will say, there is no way I would let my wife ramble around at night unaccompanied.
We have recently stayed at an AI Bayahibe resort. Yes, same thing, plenty of security gates etc...
I found myself wondering around at 0 dark 30 because my work routine is embedded in my melon. My head was on a swivel though.

KV...

Horrific...and becoming more common...most of the problem is vagrants from Haiti...

My wife and I vacationed in DR in 2006...as part of our daughters destination wedding...

The gated/guarded resort was fabulous...as was the diving...having said that...outside the gated protection of the resort properties...the island is a s**t hole...

Leaving the airport for the resort...I noted a Milwaukee Tool outlet...the proprieter was sitting on a chair...leaning against the front outside wall of the shop with a double barrel shot-gun resting on his lap...lovely...

We've never been back...nor do we intend to...

W...

I would have given anytime to have been there at that time to shut him down and stop it.

I went to the Dr with no issues.

I didn't have any issues at all and im one to get around on my own.

But I was told to be careful in the island, dued to poverty. Jamaica has seen a few of these types of things also.

I think people look at these resorts as safe in other countries and don't take precautions they should take. Nothing is safe. Idgas where you are in the world. All it takes is to cross paths with someone passing through and it can go bad real quick.

Treat ''security' as an illusion because that's all it is, no one is safe if you rely on others, but you can make sure you're safe if you're prepared. Best advice I can give after over 2 decades in uniform.

I frequently go to the DR without any problems. I rent a car at the airport and drive to our condo. Never had any problems and I don’t speak a lick of Spanish. These kind of attacks can and do happen anywhere abroad, you need to keep your wits about you when away from home. Hell, you do even AT home. Just because the attacker had a resort uniform on does not mean he was an employee. Criminals consider themselves above the law and do whatever they want, including impersonating an employee to blend in. Security in DR is a farce, even on AI resorts. These are very poor people and everything is about more dollars.

That being said, the diving is fun in Bayahibe and I can’t wait to go back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom