Teric updated hardware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have 2 Terics. The older one was purchased less than 6 months after they were first announced (and went on sale). I have never missed a dive because of it. But, I did notice that after using it for a weekend, then charging it up to 100%, it seemed to lose charge a lot more quickly than it should. I don't remember it being that way when it was new, but I cannot say for sure.

I got a 2nd Teric roughly 6 months after the first. Since then, I started noticing that it seemed like the older one ran down when stored a lot more quickly than the newer one. Recently, it just seemed to lose charge while stored way too quickly. Like, it could go from 100% to dead (or too low to dive) after sitting for just 1 month. The Shearwater manual says to store it by charging it to 100% and then to top it up every 6 months. But then in the Specs, it says the battery life spec is 3 months in Standby. Regardless, 1 month is too short.

I mailed it off to Shearwater last Friday and it is currently estimated to be delivered back to me this Thursday. They turned it around in one day.

They called me to let me know the results of their analysis. They replaced everything inside the watch case.

What they told me is that mine was one of the earliest ones. They have since changed the way they test them. The change in testing resulting in changing the circuit board inside. They added a sensor to the board. They told me that they changed to testing them in air. So, I guess maybe they added a sensor that will work in air to read high pressure, the way the depth(pressure) sensor would. Anyway...

The new circuit board connects to the OLED display on the opposite side. So, changing my circuit board meant they also had to change the OLED display. So, replaced the entire guts.

I think it's pretty cool that they recognized an issue with the early units and substantially re-designed the internals to address the problem. There are other companies in the world that, when faced with a similar issue, would be more likely to just replace the battery once or twice until the computer was out of warranty and then leave their customers holding the bag.

I have seen some posts about battery issues that, I think, rightly raised the question of whether sending a unit in for repair of a battery issue would only result in a new battery that worked well again for a while, but didn't fix the underlying issue. This info about the new internal board gives me some confidence that the underlying issue has been fixed and that my "new" Teric will be solid for diving AND for extended storage.

I agree, Shearwater has went above and beyond for me. They stand behind their customers!

I had a thread a couple of months back about my experience with Teric. Their customer service is amazing. I will buy Teric 2 and Teric 3 when it comes out, because of Shearwater’s reputation and how they made me feel as a customer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom