Teric Sounds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikadoWu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How far away can people hear the sound of their Teric? Out of Water, I can not hear it from more then 9 inches away. I do not remember it being that quite before the Firmware update.

Anyone live between Orlando and Tampa that I can Compare my Teric Sound too? Called 2 LDS, neither have them.

FYI mine is easily audible across a room.

FWIW, I have some issues hearing it underwater but I think that’s more me than the Teric

FYI mine is easily audible across a room.

FWIW, I have spare me issues hearing it underwater but I think that’s more me than the Teric

I thought mine did too. But the firmware came out on my B-day which is when I purchased my Teric and I was excited. I have had 4 DC's failures on me over the last 7 years. I buckled up, sold my Cobalt 2 and OCi to pick up the Teric, after listening for years about Shearwater reliability. For this to be my first experience with Shearwater is depressing. FTR, I been Network Engineer for 20 years, I am pretty good at taking care of technology.

Here is the reply from Shearwater when I emailed them.

We’ve had one other report of this (prior to the v09 firmware release) and found the Teric working fine in that instance.
I’ve chatted with our engineers about this. This is what they have to say:
I've tested it with a spectral analyzer and the beeper is about 70dB in the 8-16kHz range.
People with hearing damage like me or just aging ears will have a hard time hearing this frequency.
Unfortunately, there is no way to change the frequency or turn up the volume.

Apparently I must have damaged ears, which is why I am looking for another to listen to.

To not hear it on land your hearing damage would have to be pretty major!

My guess is it’s a hardware issue and the FW is coincidental.

Short of finding another Teric to confirm that or sending it into SW, perhaps record a video file from a 1m distance directly above the Teric and send it to SW and they can replicate that with the same phone/recording device to ‘confirm’ it’s hardware.

Don’t be too worried about it as it will be resolved and you’ll love it more with each dive.

Do you really need another teric to test it? How about asking someone else if they can hear it, lol.

If three different people can't hear it, it's pretty unlikely that they all have hearing damage in the same frequency range.

Am having same issue with brand new unit. Barely audible. On land.

Hopefully it'll replaced quickly.

Am having same issue with brand new unit. Barely audible. On land.

In should have posted earlier.

I did some other testing, with mine a couple weeks ago. Sent that info to Shearwater, and am waiting on a reply. The guy they want to review it was on vacation last week.

I took it to school and had my soccer players (14-18yo) listen to it. Most of my players could hear it across the room, but a few like me could not hear it. My engineering teacher used and app to check the db level which came in around 62-64 db. Now this is an app on an iPhone not a real tester, so ratings could be skewed.

Just seems odd, I could hear my OCi, Geo2 and Cobalt 2 no problems. Friend is bringing me Petral 2 tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom