Teric Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simran

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi ScubaBoard,
I recently purchased the Shearwater Teric AI after reading rave reviews. I bought from LDS andtested it in the pool. It failed comms. They gave me a new transmitter (the grey one) and it seemed to work.
After making a couple of hose changes to my reg setup, I again tested in the pool a month later and the Teric failed altogether.
My LDS sent back to Shearwater and they updated firmware and replaced depth sensor. I am leaving for remote diving trip in less than a month and waiting for Teric to return to test. I am seriously regretting this pretty pricey investment and feel super distrustful of its reliability.
Anyone else having Teric failures?
Thanks,

Anything can break. When you will be a long way from anywhere you want to know that you can do more dives even if something important is broken. If you can afford a fancy computer and a fancy holiday where this is a risk then you can probably afford a backup. It may be that there are people at the remote place who can help. If you are diving with some dive op they may have rental kit. If you are really out of the way, try to combine spares with several people, there probably isn’t a need for 12 spare regs, 12 spare computers etc etc.

They are as reliable as any other (perhaps better), and are exceptional in support if you have a problem. An extreme trip needs a "insurance policy". I'd have a back-up.... doesn't have to be another SW....

Hi ScubaBoard,
I recently purchased the Shearwater Teric AI after reading rave reviews. I bought from LDS andtested it in the pool. It failed comms. They gave me a new transmitter (the grey one) and it seemed to work.
After making a couple of hose changes to my reg setup, I again tested in the pool a month later and the Teric failed altogether.
My LDS sent back to Shearwater and they updated firmware and replaced depth sensor. I am leaving for remote diving trip in less than a month and waiting for Teric to return to test. I am seriously regretting this pretty pricey investment and feel super distrustful of its reliability.
Thanks,

There's thousands, if not tens of thousands that are being used. You just got unlucky.

Bathtub curve - Wikipedia

Im seriously regretting this pretty pricey investment and feel super distrustful of its reliability.
Thanks,

My shearwater products have been great, BUT I did have a transmitter failure.

The staff at Dive-Tronics (Shearwater's repair center) and at Shearwater were TOP NOTCH!!! I had a new transmitter in 4 days.

Now as someone above me posted, I had an Oceanic pro plus 2 fail to go into dive mode that was my backup computer but ONLY spg. Oceanic blamed me (it was my fault I did not verify the computer was in dive mode before I went under the water) , but when it went into ERROR mode, it would not show me my tank pressure. Got to the bottom, seen I could not see my pressure. And I had to abort my dive.

I use a perdix ai as my primary, a teric as my backup computer and brass and glass SPG for my backup air gauge.

I wish you the best, but I am SURE Shearwater will take care of you.

There are occasional issues reported, like all mechanical & electronic devices, but Shearwater is the most customer oriented and responsive company in scuba diving (in fact the best one I have ever bought anything from). It is a very reliable computer and you should not worry.

You don’t need to duplicate threads. Saw you already posted one under Shearwater, which is the proper section for this.

They are as reliable as any other (perhaps better), and are exceptional in support if you have a problem. An extreme trip needs a "insurance policy". I'd have a back-up.... doesn't have to be another SW....

Hey Bob...

Agree to a point...Excellent support/excellent product...is one thing...excellent support/troubled product...not so much...

This computer/transmitter should have been replaced...the faulty product should have been the problem of the dealer/manufacturer...and not the customer...

I've logged almost 1000 dives...never owned a Shearwater computer of any model...and that's not likely to change any time soon...

If you research the Teric...you'll likely find that fabrication is contracted out...and if that's the case...the location of the contractor is not anywhere in North America...

Just me...

Warren...

This computer/transmitter should have been replaced...the faulty product should have been the problem of the dealer/manufacturer...and not the customer...

Where did he say it was blamed on him?

Where did he say he had to do all the interface with SW himself?

Was it not replaced?

Aside from the yellow transmitter recall, where is there a systemic problem with the SW products?

Seems everything was done in a reasonable manner....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom