Teric dead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I haven't used my Teric in a while since it is my tropical dive computer and, well I haven't been anywhere for quite some time. I went to turn it on today, took it off the charger where it has sat for over a year (I know that's bad for the battery but I kept hoping this covid thing would go away sooner) Anyway no amount of button pushing will wake the darn thing up. Is there something I am missing?

I haven't used my Teric in a while since it is my tropical dive computer and, well I haven't been anywhere for quite some time. I went to turn it on today, took it off the charger where it has sat for over a year (I know that's bad for the battery but I kept hoping this covid thing would go away sooner) Anyway no amount of button pushing will wake the darn thing up. Is there something I am missing?
You let it sit on a charger (plugged in?) for over a year? Seriously? Regardless, call Shearwater and they’ll advise on your next steps. If in Canada or the US, service is quick and easy!

You let it sit on a charger (plugged in?) for over a year? Seriously? Regardless, call Shearwater and they’ll advise on your next steps. If in Canada or the US, service is quick and easy!
Would I have been better to leave it off fthe charger or that year? I know there is an ideal way to handle batteries but I was not in a position to tend to this either way for the last while.

I seem to recall I let my Teric battery drain all the way down over a winter once and I just kept tinkering with it every now and then over a few days on the charger and it woke up, charged fully and back to normal.

I think the charger that comes with the Teric is smart enough to stop charging after a while. Perhaps you bumped it, the connection was lost and the battery has fully drained.

+1 to what Cuzza said. Worth trying by unplugging the charger completely for a minute; plug it back in; see what indication if any is on the LED on the charger [my Teric charger shows a solid red LED when plugged in but no Teric in the cradle], then put the Teric on the charger, checkout the LED again [my Teric charger shows a solid green LED when the Teric is back in the cradle and charging, and finally turns to flashing green when it is fully charged]. If you don't get something that works, then contact Shearwater.

Yeah I think I will try that. Maybe the green light was showing because there was no connection\

IT WORKED! put it on the charger and it came to life. Repoerts 92% battery life. Thanks Scubaboard people

Would I have been better to leave it off fthe charger or that year? I know there is an ideal way to handle batteries but I was not in a position to tend to this either way for the last while.
Personally, I would not leave any Li-ion battery based electronic sitting on a charger for a year - I’d be concerned a charger malfunction could cause issues. But your best bet is to call Shearwater on Monday - I have no doubt they’ll sort it out for you!

BTW, I last charged my Teric in mid September and periodically check it - it’s at 43% today, so I stuck it back on the charger to top it off again.

Yeah I think I will try that. Maybe the green light was showing because there was no connection\

IT WORKED! put it on the charger and it came to life. Repoerts 92% battery life. Thanks Scubaboard people
I don't really like their charging base. It sometimes can be seated correctly but doesn't make the connecting. It's also not water resistant which would have been a plus for long boat trips.

A flat charger or one that has some sort of clip to hold the computer tight, and perhaps with the charging cable sealed to the charger would really improve the product.

A flat charger or one that has some sort of clip to hold the computer tight, and perhaps with the charging cable sealed to the charger would really improve the product.

@CuzzA it works fine with a flat charger. When I first bought mine there was even a spec somewhere of which flat chargers they had tried it with. I bought a Choetech T511 from Amazon for a few bucks at the time; that's what I take on trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom