Teric black screen malfunction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vovanx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I haven't got an reply from Shearwater if I'm allowed to post this so I consider silence as "yes".

TL;DR:
the computer screen suddenly went black and was off for the whole dive, then suddenly started to work after a few hours at the surface. I've sent the computer to Shearwater and after two weeks got a new computer back (would be about 1 week if I lived closer to the service center). Paid only for the shipping to them — return shipping was free.

I'm too lazy to rephrase what happened so I'll just quote an email I've sent to Shearwater.

some strange thing happened with my Teric two days ago. Everything was ok on the first dive and on the surface interval, then we went to gear up for the second dive and after putting my equipment on I noticed that Teric screen is black. I pressed the Light button twice (as I usually do to turn Teric on from the sleep mode or to move it from "Off" to "Dim" and "Low" brightness) but nothing happened. Then I tried to press all buttons, and to press and hold - still nothing, the screen is black.
I thought that computer might get overheated, because it was laying under the direct sun for 5-10 minutes while I was gearing up, so I decided to jump into the water with it and see if it will cool down and turn on. And immediately after I jumped into the water Teric beeped and vibrated (going
into the dive mode), but the screen still was black! So the computer was working all that time. I tried to press Light and all other buttons while under water but nothing happened, and the whole second dive the screen was black.
When we came back to the surface the screen still was black, and after about one hour on the surface I tried to press the Light button twice to see if something changed, and surprisingly the screen turned on showing the owner's contact information, computer beeped and vibrated and proceeded to the dive mode.
It would do the same (turn on and immediately go into dive mode) if it was turned Off during the dive mode before, but I checked the Log and saw that the computer tracked the whole second dive, so it definitely was not accidentally turned Off during the dive when I randomly pressed the buttons trying to turn the screen on.

I've shipped the computer to the nearest service center (only computer alone, without box etc) and asked to ship back only the computer too as I do not need extra bag, charger and all the excess waste. But anyway they've shipped back the whole new box, so now I have two chargers, two bags and everything else :D
If I would sell the extra charger it will be the same as the shipping cost so I consider that the service was totally free of charge.

I'm glad they are taking care of people.
It sure seems like I am reading of a lot of Teric issues.
Hope they get all the bugs worked out soon.

and the whole second dive the screen was black

So did you do a 2nd dive with a malfunctioning computer without a backup method of tracking your NDL?

I would be interested to know how many others have had Teric black screen. I bought a Teric last May and it had been perfect, I really like the computer. On the 101st dive, in Bonaire, the left side of the screen displayed many vertical white lines and the rest of the display dulled. By the end of the day, it was black and stayed that way. When I got back, I experienced some of the great Shearwater service I have heard about. I called US service and had my RMA and USPS priority box mailing label by the end of the day. They will receive it tomorrow and I expect to have a new Teric by next week.

In talking to service, I got the impression that this display problem had been recognized and is now taken care of, thus my question about others who might have experienced this malfunction.

To take care of @martincohn, I also dive my over 9 year old Oceanic VT3 on the same transmitter, so was never without a computer. BTW, my VT3 has 1447 dives and 1524 hours on it, I got a good one :)

So did you do a 2nd dive with a malfunctioning computer without a backup method of tracking your NDL?
Luckily I had a backup computer with me that day despite the dives were planned very shallow. Usually I bring two only for deep/tech dives.
Now I always have a backup computer in my bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom