Teric Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveDay

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I love my Teric but I'm struggling with the battery drain while in storage. As far as I know there's no way to turn the Teric off other than through the brightness menu. The manual states:

"The battery life of the Teric is dramatically improved when “Off”. This is a convenient feature if you forget your Teric charger at home and are being judicious with battery consumption."

How long should the battery life last in off position stored on a shelf (not worn as a watch)?

The manual says:

"To prevent damage to the battery please do the following: 1) Fully charge the Teric prior to storage 2) Top up the Teric battery every 6 months"

I'm getting about a week, and I understand I should not let it discharge completely. Outside the dive season this adds many extra recharge cycles putting strain on the battery. How is everyone else dealing with this?

If you cycle through the menus (not the brightness settings) you will see an option for "Off." I always assumed that it put the computer into a deep sleep, as opposed to the brightness "off" setting that only turns the screen off. Not sure about that, but it's what I do as soon as I'm done diving with it. Battery drain seems pretty minimal to me that way. I charge mine up every couple of weeks, but I've been using it pretty much weekly since I got it. We'll see how long the storage life is later this fall when I stop diving so much.

Okay, that makes a lot more sense given the super high idle battery usage I'm seeing. I'm guessing I'm not actually turning it off but rather turning the display off only. Thanks - I'll try that and report back! The manual was not very clear on this point.

Short answer is your battery's faulty. Send it back, and then you'll get months when 'off'.

p.s. there's a few threads on this, if you search my name and teric as the subject they should be listed.

What @Jay said. Contact Sherwater and let them know what is going on. I have been tracking mine since I came back from Cancun Labor Day weekend and I am only losing about 1.5% per week in storage and that is using the "off" that is located in the brightness selections.

Thanks a lot for the replies. I emailed Shearwater last night and they immediately got back to me with an RMA #.

As a test I charged it to 100% and set it to "Off" via main menu last night. This morning it's at 90%, so it lost nearly 1% per hour over night, not good.

I've asked Shearwater to let me keep it for another 2-3 weeks so I can wrap up my dive season, then it's off for battery service. I'll report back on results after, but it might be a while.

Reactions: Jay
Thanks a lot for the replies. I emailed Shearwater last night and they immediately got back to me with an RMA #.

As a test I charged it to 100% and set it to "Off" via main menu last night. This morning it's at 90%, so it lost nearly 1% per hour over night, not good.

I've asked Shearwater to let me keep it for another 2-3 weeks so I can wrap up my dive season, then it's off for battery service. I'll report back on results after, but it might be a while.

Do you have your AI turned off? The computer looking for a transmitter takes some power as well. Just a thought.

Shearwater confirmed there is a single "off" setting, irrespective of how you access it. Before posting I did turn off both the compass and AI as I usually don't use them, no effect on battery life.

During last months I don't use my Teric. First in storage mode the computer spent 1-2% of the charge i n10-15 days. Now I noticed that it is discharged by 2% every 1-2 days.
I do not know what happened because I don;t use it all this time. It’s hot in our room, so I moved it where it’s cool - maybe the battery reacts to it. But this was not the case last winter.
What else could affect battery drain?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom